Part 8: Bang

Chief turned to her device, the beeping indicating an incoming call.

Agent Williamson, the device read. Security and Surveillance.

Chief's interest piqued. Williamson and his partner, Agent Castro, were tasked with monitoring airport cameras all over the world (with CrimeNET technology, of course) for any signs of Carmen Sandiego.

She accepted and felt the very familiar blue scanner flash over her. She was instantly transported to a blue-tinted holographic version of the world the agents were in, courtesy of the pen's ultra-sensitive 360 degree scanners and cameras.

"Agents," she greeted them.

They stood attentively in front of her. "We've found her. Boarding a plane. We took the liberty of tracking the plane's flight path and she's headed for Salt Lake City. This was just half an hour ago- she should arrive in and hour and a half." Agent Castro said, adjusting her ACME-issued glasses. She turned to a screen behind her.

A woman boarding a plane, her reddish hair tied up in a messy bun. Even from behind, there was no doubt it was her.

"Already? Hm. Good work." Chief said crisply, giving them a smile. They nodded and waited a second before disconnecting. They were very to-the-point agents, which Chief appreciated.

The part-time hologram turned to her list of agent's names and punched in a few letters, selecting a name she chose all too often when it came to the red thief. The globular logo pulsed for a moment, before the agent answered.

"Pack your dart gun, agent. Carmen Sandiego's landing at Salt Lake City's airport soon. You and the team you're there with need to nab her. We're a step ahead this time- make sure you don't waste your chance."

When Chief had received a nod of confirmation from the freckled agent, she hung up and turned with a sigh.

She really hoped she was imagining the flash of doubt in Julia Argent's eyes.

Carmen barley looked up as the plane began it's descent towards Salt Lake City's airport, the night sky of early morning brightened by city lights.

"Think ACME'll be there again?" Zack asked flatly. They were all worried for the mission ahead. Terrified of what would happen if they failed. The three of them on the plane sat silently for a second, considering. They way they'd been acting recently, and with such speed?

"Probably."

She hadn't exactly been hiding. There wasn't time.

Player had caught word that something was happening in Utah. The most catastrophic scheme Carmen had ever witnessed; extremely out of character for VILE but deadly all the same. They'd rushed to the airport with the knowledge that the event was only a couple hours away.

The wheels of the plane touched down and the aircraft sped down, slowing, slowing...

Carmen's thoughts were elsewhere as she turned on her comm earring, transferring Player's (currently muted) audio to her ear. She wondered vaguely whether he was getting along with Shadowsan, who was back at base, and laughed a little. Sobered when she remembered. They needed to hurry.

"This is........your route.......redirect to gate.."

The radio echoed faintly back from the cockpit. Carmen didn't pay much mind, and the redeye finally came to a stop.

Carmen, Ivy, and Zack stood and got their duffel bags in a practiced way. But the plane's door didn't open.

Carmen blinked in confusion, and glanced at the window. Then cursed.