Chapter 2

June 24, 2012

"Linda and I are going to sign up for a time slot," Alessa said the next morning with Linda behind her.

"What's that?" I asked and sat up on my bed. I was just chilling, reading a book wearing sweat pants and a t shirt. My hair was in its usual messy bun with a pencil through it.

"They're letting partners sign up for a time slot to use the Center House to work on our final piece," she explained.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why didn't I hear about this?" I asked.

"Maybe because as soon as you found out who your partner was, you ran back to the cabin," Bianca said in a monotone voice, not even looking up from her sketchpad.

I grumbled something as Alessa and Linda left. How was it my fault that I didn't hear any of this? I'm sure that any sensible person who found out that they would have to spend time with the person they hate the most would run. It was an automatic response.

I turned to face Bianca, deciding it was her turn to squirm. "So, how's Levi," I teased, referring to the boy who had the hugest crush on her.

But she only shrugged. "He's Levi."

I rolled my eyes. "Do you honestly not realize that he likes you?"

"Does he." She asked, but she didn't form it like a question, she didn't care.

I picked up a rubber band ball and threw it at her. "Why are you the definition of a TV goth chick?"

Her jaw dropped and she finally looked up from her sketchbook. "I am not!" she said.

"Finally!" I shouted. "I get some emotion out of you!"

She rolled her eyes and threw the ball back at me. "You're so stupid.."

"Oh you know you love me," I said and threw it back.

"Whatever."

Before I could say anything back, the door to our cabin opened and Levi walked in.

"Hey Bianca, Lace," he said then immediately turned back to the woman of his dreams. I swear, he was the cutest thing. Why couldn't my partner be like that?

"Um... you wanna, sign up for a time slot?" He asked and walked closer to her bed.

She smiled up at him and I furrowed my eyebrows. Why was she smiling like that? I've never seen her smile like that.

But he looked... I don't know... dazzled. His eyes looked glazed over and he almost looked shocked. This guy was literally whipped.

"Sure, let me just get my shoes," she said.

He nodded, still in a trance.

She slipped on some flip flops and led him out of the cabin, but before she left, she turned back to me and winked. Then she closed the door.

I laughed at loud as I realized how bad she was playing this boy. She was almost too evil.

"Did Levi already leave?"

My lonely laughter was cut short by the sound of Eli's voice. Immediately my mood went sour.

"He's your friend, why don't you ask him?" I said.

He sighed. "Why did they have to pair me with you?" He mumbled to himself.

"Look, it is too early in the morning for this so you could just-"