Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Sunday, August 11

Later that night, the Art Fire began. S'mores ingredients were set out and a fire was made in the middle of the site. Every one was here-including the younger years. To start the night off, Marcus gave us an amazing speech and no one went without hugging him afterwords.

"I'm gonna miss you," I said, then pulled away from him. "Even though you threatened to kick me out."

He chuckled then ruffled my hair. "Tough love always works," he said.

"Whatever," I said and rolled my eyes.

The night continued on, and I had a really good time, probably the best time since camp started. It probably had to do with the fact that my future was basically solid. Unless some unforeseen event happened, everything was working out perfectly.

Eventually, it got extremely late (no one was thinking about the curfew) and people started to leave and head back to their cabins, some even fell asleep right there. Eli, Jaxon and I were lying in the soft grass, relaxing.

"I shouldn't have eaten that many s'mores," Jaxon said with a groan. It had been a contest between him, Eli and Levi to see who could eat the most. Eli dropped out first, only eating like ten. Then Levi stopped around fifteen and went back to his cabin to lie down, but no one told Jaxon this so he kept going, stopping only when he asked how many Levi had done only to be told he had left ten s'mores ago.

Eli snickered. "You just kept going," he said with another laugh.

"You guys are assholes," Jaxon said, then wearily sat up. "I think I'm gonna puke."

"Ew," I said and shot away from him, bumping into Eli in the process.

"Oof," he said. "I ate a lot too, Lace."

I turned to him and apologized. "Sorry," I said with a smile.

Eli pulled me back down. "It's quite alright," he said and opened his mouth to say something else, but was cut off.

"You're turning into Leanca, I'm leaving," Jaxon said and stood up. I watched as he walked back to his cabin, holding his stomach along the way.

I turned back to Eli and smiled at how close he was to my face. It was dark out here, but I could still see the small smile on his face and the way his eyes twinkled.

"I think we are becoming on of those tacky couples," I said to him.

He smiled and pulled me even closer to him. "I don't care. You're mine and I want to tell the world."

I smiled then pecked him on the lips. "But not for long," I muttered with a sigh.

"Why would you ruin the moment?" He said and rolled back onto his back. "So what do you wanna do?"

I sighed again. "I mean, long distance relationships don't ever work. It might ruin us," I said. Everyone always thought they could be the one couple to make it work, but when it comes down to it, they aren't a good decision. It was the reason we needed the scholarship in the first place.

"I don't want us to be ruined," Eli said. We were both quiet for a bit. I think we were both thinking the same thing, but neither of us wanted to be the ones to say it.

Finally, I just came out and said, "Maybe we should just take a break," the same time that Eli said, "Maybe we should pause for a bit."

I smiled, glad that we were on the same page. It was so much easier this way. "So when we get to Harleen, if it's still there, we can just unpause and continue where we left off."