Chapter 5

June 29, 2012

For the next couple of days, Eli and I went back and forth with the pranks; it was vicious. And the pranks weren't even the worst we could do since we couldn't let Marcus find out about them, but they were still pretty bad.

For instance, I had just filled Eli's cabin's toilet, sink and cabinets with live lizards. I was waiting for the scream that would be heard when one of his cabin mates, or better yet him, went to the bathroom this morning.

"Aaaahhh!"

"And there it is," I said to Kelsey.

She gave me a wary look. "What did you do to my boyfriend?" She asked.

I'm pretty sure there was a mischievous smile on my face as I said, "I just left him a little surprise."

She rolled her eyes but before she could say anything, Alessa walked in the cabin, a huge smile on her face.

"It's almost here!" She sang.

"What is?" I asked along with Kelsey.

"Your birthday!" She said to me and waved her arms around.

I rolled my eyes. Yes, my birthday was coming up in just a couple of days, and I was glad about it. Everyone around me was already seventeen while I was still sixteen. But this year, I was trying to keep the fact that it was my birthday on the down-low.

"Shh," I don't want Eli to find out. Or be reminded." I said.

Last year, Eli found out that my birthday occurred during camp, and he made it terrible. I won't say exactly what he did (because frankly, I don't want to think about it) but I'd rather never have a birthday party again.

"Don't want me to find out about what?" Eli said, walking into the cabin.

"That Lace's birthday is coming up!" Alessa exclaimed.

And this is a person I consider a close friend.

But Eli only shrugged and continued walking towards Kelsey. "Oh, I knew that already," he said and gave her a kiss.

Okay, what was happening here? Was he suddenly an amazing actor or did he honestly not care? I'm hoping for the second.

Before I could say anything there was a beep on the intercom, signaling that someone was about to speak.

"The following message is for fifth years only: Future artists," Marcus' voice started. "It seems that quite a few of you aren't getting along with your partners. Ahem, Lace and Eli, ahem. Excuse me, I'm not feeling the best this morning," he said, pretending to be sick.

"I love Marcus," Alessa said giggling.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "He's whatever."

"The rest of the counsler's and I have decided that to get you and your partners to feel more comfortable with each other, every Friday we'll have some sort of normal camp activity set up. You can think of this as 'Friendship Friday' or something cheesy like that," he explained. "Our first activity will be in thirty minutes on the field behind the Center House." There was a final beep and Marcus stopped talking.

"Um, Eli," Alessa said with a shaky voice.

"What?"

"There's a lizard crawling up your arm!" She squealed.

He glared at me, picked up the lizard from his arm and threw the little critter in my direction. It landed on my forehead.

Kelsey put her head in her hands. "Oh, no," she said.