Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Friday, July 20

"Hello my campers!" Shirley called to all of us. "Welcome to another Friendship Friday!"

I fanned myself as she spoke. It was extremely hot today, and I felt like I was breathing in fire.

"Today's engaging activity is a game almost all of you should have played in your lifetimes; charades!" She said with a lot of enthusiasm.

I didn't really have a reaction, though a lot if people groaned, I was too busy trying to get myself to cool down. What I needed was someone to dump a bucket of ice cold water on me.

"You and your partner will be a team, and we'll have a little competition with this." She took out a bin and shook it up. "Each person will pick a slip of paper with a phrase, do not show it to your partner. To save time we will split into three groups. So can I have a partnership that does not want to participate?"

Almost everyone raised their hands, but she chose two people I didn't know very well to assist her in monitoring. They would each be working with different groups of partnerships and at the end the three winners would compete against each other.

We split up, and I headed towards a monitor but Shirley pulled us right back into her group to "keep an eye on us." Eli and Kelsey had to basically drag me to that woman.

"I'm too hot to even be competitive," I said to myself.

"I'm not, we have to win," Eli said, giving me a serious expression. I nodded, feeling dopey, I was sort of in a heat induced daze. I knew we weren't going to win.

We started by Eli grabbing a slip from the bin. He read what it said then stuffed it in his pocket. Shirley motioned for him to go. He held up two fingers.

"Two words," I said.

He nodded and continued, holding up one finger.

"First word," I said.

He thought for a little bit then started pretending he was squeezing something with his hands.

"Um," I muttered. I had no idea what he was doing. "Squeeze?" He shook his head and continued to squeeze air.

What in the world was he doing?

He then sat down, wiped his brow with sweat then plucked a piece of grass from the ground and put it in his mouth, chewing on it like a farmer with straw.

"You're a farmer?" I asked.

He frantically nodded yes, then continued with the squeezing he was doing. 

"And you're milking a cow?" I said, getting more excited now. 

He nodded again, pointing at me and almost jumping up and down. He pretended to pick up what seemed to be a cup and started drinking it. When I gave him a "you're losing me," look he squeezed the cow utters again and held the make shift cup under it. Then he pointed to the cup.

"The milk," I muttered, talking it out. He suddenly nodded yes, now actually jumping around. "Milk!" I said with more confidence. He continued nodding and jumping and I laughed at how boyish he looked.

He was so cute.

He stopped jumping, but he was still smiling as he held up two fingers.

"Second word."

He immediately started shaking around. It looked like he was having a seizure. I had no idea what that was supposed to mean. "You're hurt? You can't stop moving? Dancing? Seizure?" He kept shaking his head no and I sighed. I was too hot to think.