11. Surprise!

Hands clenched together, all that filled Shoichi's ears was heavy breathing more than the creaks and spooks that echoed from their shaky footsteps. They were one part Shoichi's and nearly all Zenitsu's. His hands were clammy, trembling terribly ever since they ran into that boar-headed monster a few minutes prior. All the walls and doors began to look the same, at least the bouts of sure death had been reduced to mid-volume.

"Excuse me, Mr. Zenitsu?"

The man in question literally roared—or perhaps he screamed—either way it was quite pathetic. Zenitsu melted into a puddle of himself when it turned out nothing was out to get him yet, eyes almost popping out of his head."S-Signal please... S-S-Signal!" he cried, latching onto Shoichi's clothes. "Whatever you do... don't just do it suddenly. I almost threw my heart up!" Tears and snot streamed down his face.

"Sorry..."

"My heart was gonna blast!"

"Uh... I was jus' saying that you sweat a lot, you breath heavily, and--"

"And?! I'm doing my best! I was trying to be as quiet as possible," Zenitsu yelled.

"Sorry, no but, your jitters are making me uneasy too..."

"Kya, I'm sorry!" The demon slayer picked himself up. "'Cos the demon might show up if we talk, right?! It's really hard to be quiet, y'know!"

If only that were true. If Zenitsu truly had one enemy in this situation, it may have been how his voice betrayed his words. Wood clattered behind him. Not in the same creak that wrecked their ears for the gods know how long. More akin to bark being ripped through, scratched at like a bear. Gradually, Zenitsu watched the sullen look on Shoichi's face gape in complete horror and a gasp take the boy's breath.

Dread creeped into Zenitsu's skin. That awful sound... He knew exactly what the matter was before he turned his head to peek. Two glowing eyes, and what can only be described as if a human-cat had grown horns stared back to greet him, a slithering red tongue salivating at the sight of prey. "Oh, m're kids 'r 'ere," he grinned. "Don't ey l'k delicious?"

It didn't need to reach its arm an inch further. Zenitsu screeched and grabbed Shoichi. They bolted down the corridor, but the demon didn't loom too far behind, growling and licking its lips. "Stay away!" Zenitsu was close to losing his brain. "We don't taste good I promise! Go away!"

It chuckled, barely coherent words croaking from its throat. "Y'll n'ver kn--'f y'haven't tried." A whip cracked behind them, breaking a vase in half--to Zenitsu's dismay; the whip was the demon's tongue itself.

"Kya, what the hell?!" Zenitsu tackled Shoichi out of harm's way and crashed into a room identical to every other.

"Mr. Zenitsu get up!" Shochi pleaded, pulling the slayer up by his elbow. The demon's sounds echoed closer, trumpeting its impending entrance.

"No, I can't! My legs won't move! 80% of my fear is down there!"

"This is not the time to talk about stuff like that!"

"J-Just leave me alone, Shoichi," Zenitsu said with tears tumbling down. "You run, I'll just stay here."

"But I can't leave you!"

The demon slammed a claw onto the door perching itself by the frame--limb by limb, crawling into the room.

They scurried back on their elbows and reached a dead end. "Wah! You're such a good child, Shoichi! I'm so sorry!" Zenitsu cried as they clutched onto each other, squeezing each other tight. Shoichi had his hands planted on Zenitsu's shoulders--he trembled terribly, bit his lip like he was about to cry, but the young boy was dry eyed. It's a pity, Zenitsu thought, if only he wasn't so weak. Shoichi didn't deserve to die young--perhaps if Nezuko had been there, they would've been fine.