1. A First For Many

"Tanjiro! Rokuta! Mother! Takeo! Shigeru and Hanako! What happened?! Someone answer me! Tanjiro?"  Bloodied and torn up bodies were sprawled out before her. The red stained the snow and tatami mats and the chilly air clothed her once warm home in darkness like death itself hovered at the door.

The next thing she knew, she blinked and her world was a  snow covered forest and inches of snow on the ground. 'Oni-chan! I will save you for sure!' Nezuko thought to herself. Every step she dragged her legs, ice cold air filled her lungs. 'You always help others, but this time I will be the one who helps you!' 

As the tears fell from her eyes, she watched as Tanjiro  grew monstrous and unfamiliar. 'Claws, fangs, and cat-like eyes? Did Ni-chan really turn into a demon?'

"No! Tanjiro! Fight it! You can do it! Please do it for me!" She yelled out, feeling her throat wallow down and her senses grow numb in the darkness around her. She stumbled her words, her lips cracking as Nezuko cried and pleaded with the man who appeared before her. "He didn't eat anyone! I'm sure! My instincts never lie to me! There was someone else I promise!" Everything was a blur and before she knew it, everything went black.

--

"Don't!" Nezuko shot up in her bed, frozen forest now a tiny cabin with a fire in the middle.  Her heartbeat raced and raced, placing a hand over her chest with tears dripping from her eyes. "I dreamt about it again." She whispered, shuddering with the reminder of her dream. Nezuko glanced to the side where a window let the moonlight shine through. It never helped that its illustrious glow mirrored the night she let slip through her hands.

"Hmph!" Tanjiro huffed, nuzzling himself beside her bed. His eyes were shut closed with a warm smile behind his bamboo muzzle. Nezuko couldn't resist the urge to ruffle his hair, bringing a corner of her lips to her ears.

"Don't worry Ni-chan. I'll turn you back into a human." She says, letting her mind wander to places beyond reach.

A yawn then washed over her and she found herself letting out a big sigh laying her head back on the pillow. Her eyes grew heavy, and her senses grew fuzzy once more. It had been a long, long day as her indoctrination into the Demon Hunter Corps left her clutching to a walking stick.

But soon the sun replaced the moon, and Nezuko stepped outside the humble home, stretching her arms and back, listening to the birds chirp and the trees rustle in the wind.

Urokodaki walked by with a pile of wood in his arms. Nezuko let a small smile appear watching the tengu masked man zoom around though dawn had just broken. 'Ah, it's nice to have a slow morning for once.' She thought, leaning against the door frame and pushing those hellish days to the back of her mind for now. From becoming one with water to the countless sword swings and the training with Sabito and Makomo. It seemed so long ago when she met Urokodaki with Tanjiro on her back, running down Mount Sagiri for the first time. Looking back, she wouldn't change it for the world and those days brought her to the start of a new chapter of her life. She's now a demon slayer.

But her day wasn't as slow as one would expect. Nezuko spent the day training much like she was just a week earlier, much to the disapproval of her teacher. It was tiring but she never minded the hard work, at this point it felt like it was a part of her nature.

"Nezuko." Urokodaki called as the sun set. "Come." Nezuko nodded, putting down her training sword and followed her teacher inside. His home wasn't anything grand or even middle class. Every room was mashed into one with a pit for a fire in the middle and a small side room big enough for a one person bedroom. The wooden walls that held the roof from falling were scratched and creaked like a baby's cry and the tatami mats they sat on were worn out and rough.