Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The automatic doors opened in front of Chloe and a cool blast from the air conditioner kissed her cheek. Feeling goose bumps prickle along the top of her skin, she rubbed her hands over her arms in a feeble attempt to warm them.

Swallowing, Chloe forced herself to walk through those harrowing doors, nervous as hell but more determined than ever. If it hadn’t been for her, John wouldn’t be here. She, at the very least, owed his parents an apology, she told herself.  And if they wanted to take charges out on her, then so be it. She was ready to accept whatever came at her.

You do the crime, and then you serve the time seemed quite fitting in this instance, she thought to herself. Chloe had been so stupid to let her own past impair some of the decisions that she made today. All because of one stupid night, one stupid party and her own selfish desire to be wanted. Chloe knew that she had been left sorely damaged after that night, beyond any normal type of repair.

No more! No more would she allow her past to rule her life. What happened back then, happened. There isn’t a damn thing that she can do about it now. All Chloe has is today and starting now, she was going to make a change.

“Excuse me Miss, do you need any help?”

Chloe stopped at the front counter, realizing she didn’t have a clue as to where to she needed to go. Looking up, there was a young woman, maybe in her mid-twenties, smiling back at her. Glancing around, she saw the signs showing the way to X-ray, Emergency and Patient rooms but from what she had heard, John was in intensive care and there was nothing showing her the direction to that area. “Um, yeah,” she said, walking up closer to the counter. “I’m looking for John Rhodes.”

The nurse nodded and turned to the computer that Chloe hadn't seen when she first walked up. It had been hidden just behind the counter. She watched her as she tapped on the keyboard and then she stopped, looking up at Chloe and frowning. “I’m sorry,” she said, “But he’s in intensive care and no visitors are allowed except immediate family members.”

“Oh.” Was all that Chloe could manage to say and then let out a ragged sigh. The young woman went back to tapping at her keyboard and knowing it was useless, she started to turn away. She had only taken three steps before she turned back around and faced her. “Ma’am?” she called out.

The nurse lifted her face up and looked at her expectantly. “Yes.”

Feeling uncomfortable, Chloe started to nervously wring her hands over and over. “Well,” she started, glancing down the empty corridor and then turning back to her, “It’s just…hmm. The ones that I really want to talk to are his parents.” She looked up at her with hope filled eyes. “Is there anyway to see if they are here?”

She frowned again but at least she seemed to be contemplating it. “It’s not really normal protocol to reveal that…"

Quickly, Chloe stepped back up to the counter. “I’ll only be a minute,” she confessed trying not to sound too needy. “I just need to tell them one thing and then I’m out of here.”

The nurse sighed and stared back down at her computer for a long minute. Shaking her head she continued to look at her computer. “I’m not supposed to do this, but…,-

Chloe held her breath when she paused and looked back up at her, “I’m going to give you ten minutes.” Pointing at her, the nurse added, “You have to promise me that you’ll come back down in ten minutes because I can get in a heap of trouble for this.”

Chloe couldn’t believe her luck. Finally, something was going her way. “I promise,” she told her. “Ten minutes should be plenty of time for me to say what I needed to say.”