Chapter 3: Complications

A few days had passed. Kay was waiting for Franklin in front the storage of Saunders, it was finally the day. The day that would make him a real tanker. Kay smiled as she saw him walk up to her already very excited. A bit cute how enthusiastic he is... she thought and blushed lightly as she realized what she just thought...

Kay started to like him over the past few days and they became even closer friends. Franklin at least was sure what he thought of her...

"Hey there" She said not being able to stop grinning "Hey Kay!" He greeted her back excitedly.
"Excited already, are we?" She said and giggled. He chuckled and scratched his neck in slight embarrassment, not wanting to seem too fanatic to anything.

"Well then shall we?" Kay asked as she turned around, facing the gates of the storage hall for their tanks. "Y-Yes!" He replied as calmly as he could muster in his excited state. Kay chuckled before they walked in. 

The other members in the hall either didn't mind them or just stared at the two. Kay cleared her throat to gain everyone's attention. "This is Frank, our new guy, I told y'all about him already. Why don't you say hi?" She said loudly and clearly and faced him. "H-Hey guys" He greeted them shyly.

"Hey" "Hi" "Hello there" They greeted him back. He shyly waved at them and some even waved back friendly. He actually felt somewhat welcome in the senshado team. He tried to calm his nerves and looked over to Kay.

Kay then, to his surprise, grabbed him by the arm to which he blushed as she walked somewhere pulling him along with her through the hall and between the stored tanks.

"W-Where are we g-going?" He asked in embarrassment. "Your tank dummy!" She said jokingly and let out a giggle. She walked by the Firefly's M4A1s. They walked to one of the many standard M4 Sherman's and climbed inside. He fitted in just like that.

"Why don't you drive?" She asked and winked at him. "A-Ahhhh..." He was flustered but sat down at the drivers position regardless. Kay then showed him how to start the engine and helped him with the gear.

He was pretty nervous given the fact that he was about to drive a tank for the first time and perhaps even operating in other roles of a tank crew. But also because he was driving with Kay and didn't want to fail her.

"And now... just hit the gas pedal" She instructed him smiling. "Y-Yes ma'am!" He replied and started to drive the tank out of the garage and stopped waiting for Kay to tell him where to drive to.

"Now get us to the shooting range!" Kay said as Franklin drove off to where she instructed him to drive. When they reached there Kay was already excited to see his skills as gunner. "Stop!" She yelled causing Franklin to halt the tank.

"Now get to the gunners position!" Kay ordered him. "As you wish!" He replied as he changed positions. Kay then placed herself next to him and taught him how to aim and fire, beginning to train Franklin on how to operate the M4 Sherman tank. She proceeded to teach him the basics of every role in a tank crew.

~Timeskip~

As they returned Kay patted Franklins back. "You weren't too bad out there bud, keep it up!" Kay told him smiling. He smiled back shyly "T-Thanks Kay" He said smiling not looking back at her. She hugged him from behind to which he blushed lightly. He might got more used to being hugged but her hugs felt special to him every time...

"Well then, lets get back to the others?" Kay asked letting go of the hug.  "Y-Yeah" Frank replied as he opened his hatch. They then climbed out and got off the tank and walked back to the others.

"Hey Kay!" One of them yelled as he saw Kay and Franklin approach. Franklin watched in confusion. "Hey guys!" She greeted them smiling. "Hey, new guy, that was nothing, I hit the first 3 targets under your time!" One of them said. "Oh come leave him he's still new and he did pretty good" Kay defended him.

"Why don't y'all shut up as well, you know damn well I'm the best of us" A tall guy leaning on a tank said. "S-Sure Carl..." One replied. "Oh please... I still beat you last training fight" Another one said. "Oh you wish, I was only going easy and you were lucky..." The guy replied to him. So Carl is his name... Franklin though to himself.

The guy called Carl was a head bigger then him and was actually more reserved then the others who were bragging and showing off, most probably to impress Kay. He however was kind of intimidating.

"Stop showing off, will y'all? It's not like Kay would take any of you as her bf" Carl said boldly. Kay sighed. "So you're the new guy kiddo?" Carl asked not looking at Franklin. "Y-Yeah..." He replied shyly. Carl chuckled. "If that guy gets Kay I'm Montgomery..." Carl muttered under his breath.

Frank heard it and looked down sadly. Kay rested a hand on his back "Hey are you okay?" She asked worried. He just nodded in silence. "Doesn't look okay..." She added. "I-I'm okay" He said smiling somewhat convincing. Kay sighed, being worried over him.

"Why don't you come with me, I could be a better gunner for you" Carl said leaning in a bit. "N-No thanks..." Kay replied being busy with caring over Franklin who seemed to be deep in thoughts.

Maybe I DO not deserve her.... He thought to himself but brushed it off. I gotta at least try, and if it doesn't work it doesn't matter I never really got what I wanted....

"L-Lets go Frank..." Kay said pulling him after her again. This pulled him out of his thoughts and he looked down at the ground. He indeed had some rivals, and little did he know that Carl wasn't just a simple rival.

His hopes and dreams were not shattered, but his insecurities made him feel worse combined with Carl. All he wanted was someone who supports him and is there for him, someone who does not judge, someone he could trust and that he liked... Kay...

Thinking back at his live and reliving certain moments and flashbacks gave him the will to finally do something for himself, even if he didn't have much, he just wanted that one thing for once and he was ready to fight for her...

After walking away a few meters and out of their sight Kay stopped and hugged Frank, to which he responded by slowly hugging her back. "I may not know what's going on in your head right now but just know I'm here for you..." She said causing him to smile, she motivated him and she was the reason he got up everyday, she really powered him.

He just chuckled it off. "It's alright Kay, I'm okay, no worries" He said smiling at her as he slowly pulled away. She smiled as well "I'm glad then, I w-was just worried..." Kay said. He blushed lightly hearing her say this and chuckled. Kay also blushed after saying what she said. She's so cute... He thought to himself again.

He took a deep breath to calm down and smiled at Kay. He gave her a few headpats, which were somewhat relieving and calming for the both of them.

It was a bit hope in between all of his insecurities and anxieties, a moment where he didn't think of stuff like Carl. He was happy for the moment and it gave him a bit power for what's to come...