Chapter Nine

Time passes equally fast and slowly. The purchase of the house goes smoothly, the furnishing is a different story. (y/n)'s parents insist on purchasing the house's furniture as a wedding gift, which would have been a nice offer if they would only let (y/n) choose what she wants.

"Mother" (y/n) had pleaded, "This furniture doesn't fit the home ."

"What do you mean, dear?" Her parents had been bewildered to hear this from their daughter.

"Well, for one, it's all too large, and there's too much," she scrunches up her nose, "and secondly, it doesn't make sense in the home. If only you'd come and see mum. The house is rather small, but it's really beautiful. And, Molly's already given us a bunch of quilts and stuff that won't go with all this--expensive furniture." She's able to get her mother to the house the next day. Surprisingly, (y/n)'s mother doesn't say anything negative about the little cottage, and in the end, she agrees to help furnish their home in a way that suits it.

"Let me buy a nicer dining table for you, at least, and maybe the bed?" Mrs. (y/l/n) insists. In the end, (y/n) secedes and allows her mother to indulge in buying the dining table and the bed (mattress and all).

When the new furniture comes in, he helps her move it around their new house.

"It looks good," she folds a deep blue blanket his mother had knitted for their new home, draping it over the back of the sofa. He had to admit that he thought the house was too small when they purchased it, but with the furniture and small details (y/n) had paid attention to, it felt a bit more like home.

He pulls her close, pressing a kiss to her temple, "It looks great."

(y/n) looks up at him, grinning. She's wearing one of his old t-shirts and worn-out pants. Her outfit was simple, but to him, she was a vision. She pulls him down to kiss her. "I love you." He feels like he could live in this moment forever with her.

***

"You can't be in here!" Ginny yells. A flurry of white ducks behind the sofa.

He ducks as a pillow flies over his head, "Hey! What the hell is going on?"

Ginny shoves him out of the living room, "You can't be in here, George!"

"Why the bloody hell can't I?" He tries to look over her shoulder at whatever they won't let him see.

"(y/n) 's in her wedding dress," Ginny successfully pushes him all the way back into the kitchen. He puts his hands up in defeat.

"You could've just said that, Gin! No need to throw things at me."

"You were about to walk in, you oaf." Ginny gives him a look, "Stay out of the house."

Charlie walks in the kitchen, laughing, "C'mon then. Let's go out till they're done."

***

"Less than what--two weeks?"

"A week and four days," George corrects, taking another drink of his beer.

"I would never have guessed you would be getting married."

George laughs, "Ever?"

Charlie laughs along, "No. You're not like me. Just not so suddenly."

"Did I tell you why? I honestly can't remember who I've told at this point."

"No, you haven't."

George takes another drink "(y/n) originally would have been engaged to Draco Malfoy."

"Wait--what?" Charlie's brow furrows. Confusion is written all over his face. George can understand how odd that sounds without context, which is sort of why he said it.

"Yup. I'm sure everyone knew, but I've been in love with her since Hogwarts. I couldn't let her marry him."

"So you proposed, and she just agreed?"

"No, that's not the entire story. Her engagement with Malfoy was the result of a Pureblood Marriage Contract."

"Blimey," Charlie runs his hand through his hair, "People still do that?"

"Her parents are traditional. But, I got them to agree that I could take Malfoy's place. We're just as much of a pureblood family as the Malfoys."

"We're still very different from the Malfoys. How'd you convinced them? They probably expected their daughter to have a very... specific life."

"Well," George Laughs, "She's definitely aware that I'm not Pureblood rich. (y/n) isn't like that, though. She's never been material."

Charlie nods, taking a sip of his own beer, "Well, I'm glad. (y/n) wouldn't have been happy with Malfoy. That's for sure."

"I haven't told you the--" he searches for the words, "--weirdest part of these contracts though. There's this clause that gives a two-year time allotment to...produce an heir."

Charlie chokes, " produce an heir? An heir to what? "

"It's just some weird part of the contract. I don't think they would be an heir of anything. I don't have anything worth having an heir for." He laughs. Honestly, at this point, it was just a funny joke between him and (y/n).

"Still. Why would (y/n) 's parents continue this tradition anyways? It's insane to think they'd force their daughter to marry anyone."

"Dunno. Like I said, the (y/l/n) 's are stuck in their ways. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. It's not like the contract is being truly enforced."

"So, she loves you too?"

George chuckles, his face going red, "I mean she said she did..."

Charlie grins, "I'm happy for you. When you and Fred brought her back to the Burrow when you were kids, I always thought you two fancied each other."

"I thought I was fairly obvious around her, but yet again, I didn't notice she fancied me too."

"You've always been a bit thick when it comes to girls."

"Won't argue with that," George laughs.