Chapter XXIII

-Percy-

I believe this is the end of the story where I’m supposed to tell you we lived happily ever after. I should, but I’m not going to. Because Annabeth and I didn’t have a real happily ever after.
Sure, we were together, we had an amazing daughter and we could finally have a normal life again, but there where many things Annabeth didn’t know about. There were lot of things I had on my mind which I didn’t tell her. I couldn’t, either, because I knew it would break her.
I had to many things to think about, which came forward when Annabeth and I were sitting together at the dinner pavilion, watching Ayme practicing against Luke.
Annabeth believed me to be watching, but I couldn’t focus on the fight for more than five seconds before my mind drifted off again.

I couldn’t help but think how much the camp had changed. Not just camp, but the campers as well. It didn’t take long before I noticed the cursed members of the Nemesis cabin weren’t, well.., cursed anymore. Zoe had explained to me that the curse had been lifted the moment the campers had realized it had been me all the time, and that I had already forgiven them.
But along with that, it seemed like nothing was the same anymore. Even the Poseidon cabin seemed different when I had taken a look inside.

But that wasn’t really what was getting to me. There were a lot of things I should have told Annabeth, which I didn’t. I just didn’t want her to worry so much about me. I sighed as I nuzzled Annabeths hair softly.
'What are you thinking of?' she asked.
'Nothing,' was all I could say.
Annabeth knew I was thinking about a lot of things, but luckily she didn't push me into telling her.
I had a lot on my mind right now, and she knew. When I had woken up, Annabeth had been overjoyed when she saw me, but it quickly changed into worry and sorrow, for she knew that this was the way I was going to be from now on. I was no longer that strong, healthy boy.
I was scarred for life, and it would probably never get better.

I looked at the surroundings and took in the sight of the new build cabins and other buildings. I hadn't been conscious when everything was rebuild, but I had no doubt to think that Annabeth had designed most of the stuff. She didn't deny it when I asked her about it, only blushed and looked away shyly. I had smiled at that and captured her in my arms, enjoying the simple being able to hold her tight.
I hadn't been there either when the fallen heroes in war had been given a proper burial, or when the shrouds had been burned. It pained me every time to find out another camper had died, because I had to find out by realizing I didn't see them around anymore. I swallowed and tried to control the grief inside of me.

But not having been around for the burials or the rebuilding of camp wasn't what was the worst. It was the feeling of being responsible for the death of twenty campers, killed by my own demon wings. Sure, I wasn't being myself back then, but it had been me who had killed them, and the guilt was slowly eating me alive. There wasn’t a moment passing by when I didn’t think of them. Annabeth saw, but she didn't ask me about it.

The only one who ever confronted me with the truth was Ayme.
Come to think of it, she was the only one who actually demanded the truth. Thinking of her always cleared up my mood, no matter how low I had gotten. I had to smile as I thought of her while watching her battling Luke. The darker thoughts had driven off to the background and I was reminded of the Twenty questions game Ayme and I would play when she wanted to know more. It was the perfect way of starting a conversation with each other, while trying to beat the other in a sword fighting battle.

Of course, she was still young, but she would grow over the years now that her immortality was removed. I was relieved to finally being able to get lost of my immortality. Chaos had allowed me to become a mortal again, and I was thankful for that. Annabeth and the other of the Seven had become mortal again too, now that I was back, and the Warriors who had been brought back to life had been given a second chance too, enjoying their new life at camp again.

I smiled as I saw Ayme dodging Luke’s slashes and grinned proudly as she managed to him on his arm. She looked at me for a moment, noticing my grin and smiled back proudly. She continued fighting and I went back to my thoughts again, thinking about the future.
Now that we would age again, our life’s were going to be short again.
I bit the inside of my lip as I reminded myself I hadn’t told Annabeth or Ayme yet, and that, at some point, they deserved to know. But not yet, I thought. Right now we’re going to enjoy the moments we have together.

I drew Annabeth closer to me and she gave into my embrace. We had decided to stay at Camp Half-Blood and train the campers. I would go out to get unclaimed demigods to camp, although Annabeth didn’t really agree with that. I had to admit that bringing demigods to camp so they were safe wasn’t the only reason I wanted to go out. I needed to know what had happened to Ann, the daughter of my mom and Paul. Lina had said she knew Ann was still alive. That was enough motivation for me to get out and look for her.

I had to smile when I thought of Lina. The daughter of Rachel had been right about Ayme’s doll having a special purpose.
‘What are you smiling about?’ Annabeth asked suddenly.
‘Lina was right about Ayme’s doll.’
Annabeth smiled a little. ‘Right she was indeed.’
Annabeth swallowed before looking at me. ‘I’m really glad it worked, Percy. Otherwise we wouldn’t be sitting here, being all right again.’
‘No, we weren’t. But we’ll never be all right again, Annabeth.’
Annabeth sighed softly and looked me straight in the eye. ‘No, we won’t. But the way we are going to live right know, is as close as we will ever get to being okay again.’
I smiled at her, leaning slightly forward. ‘And I’m perfectly fine with being okay, as long as we’re together,’ I said, sealing my promise with a kiss on her lips.