Chapter 31 - Acceptance

Astrid waited outside the doors of the school with her weekend bag in hand. Her eyes were red from crying and lack of sleep. She was on the phone with Andrew all night and while they didn't talk, they laid next to each other in silence. Both had essentially lost a parent, and they knew the other didn't need verbal consolation. He had hung up sometime around 4 in the morning after quickly informing her that he would pick her up at 12 the next day.

     So, Astrid waited for Andrew's grey SUV to drive through the gates. Georgina was a mother to her, her own mother being dead. She was the only true parental figure that she had in her life, and like her biological parents, Georgina was gone as well. Andrew hadn't said how it happened and Astrid didn't press him for it.

     Suddenly, a white Porsche flew through the gates and came to a sudden halt in front of her. Immediately, Astrid knew it was Jules. Beta Nolan was very generous to his children since they were "gifts from [his] mate", or so he put it.

     Jules came out of the car and went to help Astrid with her things.

     "Where's all your stuff?"

     Astrid held up her weekender to answer Jules' question.

     "You can't seriously expect that you're staying at the pack for the weekend? I thought you were coming back."

     "I have school Jules. Andrew never said anything about me moving back."

    Jules huffed and pinched her nose in frustration.

     "Of course he wouldn't say it. You both just lost a mother and the pack just lost it's Luna."

     "Well then the pack is going to have to wait another year and a half."

     Astrid opened the car door and sat down, effectively ending the conversation with Jules. This was a conversation she needed to have with Andrew and there was no way she'd rush into a decision now while still in mourning.

     The car ride was long and boring. Jules played music on the radio and Astrid stared outside at the passing landscape. Once they entered pack territory, Astrid could immediately sense the anguish.

     Packs couldn't last long without their Lunas. Usually, the Alpha title was passed down once the oldest son, or daughter if the pack was progressive, found his mate. Other halves brought balance, and when one half was gone the scales tipped unfavorably.

     Silvis Territory was lucky in a sense. The former Luna hadn't died with her mate, so she could fill the position until Andrew found his mate. Or at least until his mate came of age. However, the pack had no idea that Andrew had a mate and things could get very messy very quickly.

Once they pulled up to the Andrew's house, Astrid shot out the car and left her bags behind. Jules could take care of it, right?

She used her senses to locate Andrew and she found him at his desk, bottle of scotch in hand. He looked like shit, which was understandable. Astrid ran over to him and pulled him into a deep hug. He buried his face in her neck to smell her scent.

     The mate bond between them was assuring, heavy enough to keep them both grounded. The pair stayed there in an embrace, tears falling from both sets of eyes.

~~~{     }~~~

It was already dinner by the time they had finished their embrace. Like the night before, neither had talked. They just held each other for sanity.

Astrid had ordered takeout as neither was in the mood to cook. Andrew had cleaned himself up enough to look somewhat presentable before he left to get food. Astrid knew that she couldn't leave him like this and suddenly she wished she had listened to Jules. Well that's a first.

When Andrew came back, he had set up the food at the dining table. She sat to his right, as usual, and decided she would inform him of her decision.

     "I think I should stay here."

     Andrew wore a confused face which quickly turned into a frown.

     "No you're not."

     "Well why not? We both need each other now and I can't stand to see you like this."

      Andrew softened his eyes. He was grateful to have his mate here with him, and he was even more grateful that she wanted to care for him as much as he wanted to care for her.

     "I'll call your school tomorrow then. But don't think you're off the hook. You'll be taking your classes from home."

      Astrid smiled and kissed his cheek. His face reddened and Astrid giggled at how adorable he looked. He gave her a small smile.

"I'm happy you're staying. Perhaps it's a bit selfish."

"No I want to stay here with you. With the pack."

Andrew looked surprised at her words. He longed to hear the day his mate finally accept their pack.

He grabbed her hand, needing to make sure she stayed put before he went on.

"This pack needs its Luna. It's true Luna."

Astrid took a minute and thought back to what Jules had said earlier. Without Astrid there, the pack would fall apart. And while Astrid never felt a close connection with her pack mates, she didn't want to see the place where she grew up implode.

"I know."

It was Andrew's turn to kiss her cheek and he took their plates to the kitchen.

AstridOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara