13

(Age 23, The 75th Hunger Games- Quarter Quell )

Beetee fiddled with the coil and pushed his glasses further up his nose. "Where do the careers feel safest? the jungle?"

It took me a second to realise eveyone was staring at me. The only career here. I felt Finnick squeeze my hand but I dropped my head. My ring stared back at me, I couldn't do this, not to my District. I can't betray my own kind anymore than I already have. What did District One think of me? weaponless and no kills...It's shameful

Johanna huffed. "The jungle's a nightmare."

Peeta nodded. "Probbably here on the beach".

I could feel Beetee's eyes then shift from Peeta back to me. For some reason he wanted me to answer these questions instead of the others. He wanted me to betray the careers infront of the cameras..the only question is why. Eyes still trained on me, Beetee continued the interrgoation. "Then why are they not here?".

I could feel Johanna, Finnick and Beetee waiting particularly for me to answer. When it was clear I wasn't going to say shit Johanna sighed. "Because we are, we claimed it".

Why does matter who says what? Why does their motive involve me admitting how careers work? betraying them...only for these guys to kill me anyways? It doesn't make any sense. What are they up to? Is it some master plan to kill all the careers including myself once I tell them this information?...yeah, I'm definitely not saying anything.

I met Beetee's intrudieged eyes with a glare, yet he continued to ask me questions. "And if we left, they would come?."

We stared eachother down and I felt Finnick exhale in annoyance beside me. "Or stay hidden in the tree line".

I turned my head up at Finnick to find him giving a warning glance to Beetee. A clear 'drop it' written all over his expression. I felt myself smirk, so Finnick's going slightly aginst the inner alliance in favor of me. Interesting.

Beetee cleared his throat. "Which in just over four hours will be soaked from the 10 o'clock wave." Beetee switched his gaze to Katniss, as it was obvious I wasn't going to answer any of his questions. "And what happens at midnight?"

Katniss didn't even hesitate before answering. "Lighting strikes that tree".

He nodded. "Here's what I propose. We leave the beach at dusk. We head to the lightning tree. That should draw them back to the beach. Prior to midnight, we run this wire from the tree to the water. Anyone in the water or the damp sand will be electrocuted."

Johanna raised an eyebrow at him. "How do we know the wire's not going to burn up?".

Beetee looked up at her in slight offence. "Because I invented it. I assure you, it won't burn up".

How comforting, but no. This whole plan is a giant no. My training, training I've studied, learned and dedicated myself to since the age of seven screamed no. We're at the end of the alliance, we should be cutting ties and not heading straight into a plan that requires us to trust eachother. 

Divisions in this alliance were a problem from the start but this is the tipping point. This plan won't work. We have to trust eachother at the tipping point? No fucking way. Not to mention so many things could go wrong with the legistics, that and we'd have to split up to achieve this plan. No. A giant no.

I and every career, every citizen in District One and Two watching would know that agreeing to this 'plan' was just as bad as signing your own death certificate. Only from studying the games for eleven years can you analyse every detail startegically to know which plans work and which ones don't. This was too outer district, too many variables and no back up plan. I'm out. Simple as that.