Negotiations

– K Á R A –

I stared out over the docks at the towering ships. Their sails were in and the crews were no where to be seen yet. The morning air was cool and the bite of winter would greet us soon.

Tayah stomped onto the planks towards me.

I could feel that untamed and raw energy rippling around her. Hot and angry. I smiled at the waves briefly.

"That animal in there has my best friend in this city somewhere. I will find him." She growled.

I remained watching the water as I answered her. "Tell me how you are here, Tayah."

She paused taking a breath and I could feel her eyes on me intently. She came to my side and crossed her arms. "The immortal I'm with... she was meant to be teaching me the basic techniques of the Valkyries." She snorted and I raised an eyebrow at her. "I was only supposed to fuse a portal to a place I recalled in Valhalla. I had a place in mind... I just happened to change my mind quickly–"

I pinched the bridge of my nose tightly.

"Yes but how?"

"I can't tell you that! It was much a blur of light and colour and falling... My energy took days to return to me."

Before I could control it a growl of frustration left me.

"Before you start. I did not ask for this–"

"It is not you I am angry with, Tayah. It's that damn, incompetent buffoon you arrived with. Astrid is not new to immortality and has managed to place you in more danger in a day than you have in a lifetime." I grit out, feeling a hum of thunder sing in my blood.

Maybe it would be worth removing her altogether... her energy was hardly worth the presence–

"I am immortal this time around." She said nonchalantly checking her nails.

"You are still on the mortal realm, immortal. You still bleed like they do... hopefully you won't need to use your energy for any reason other than to return to Valhalla."

A silence fell in the air around us then. A moment to consider the fall of fates around us. The furs on my shoulders brushed my cheeks in the salty air.

"It's good to see you by the way." Tayah noted with no small irony.

I finally cut my eyes to hers and my stoic features cracked. Only for a second.

"Stop distracting me."

She grinned broadly at me and set her hands on her hips. Why did this immortal have to be so damn adorable.

"You can admit you missed me too." She drawled.

"I will do no such thing. I want to find your mortal and send you back to Valhalla as soon as possible."

She feigned hurt and pouted at me. I grabbed her wrist when she tried to claim my face. I stared her down and slowly lowered it.

"This may be a game to you but I value you too much to lose you. I'm afraid you see a Valkyrie before you." I murmured darkly.

She stepped closer despite this and removed the space between us. Her lips dropped close to my ear. "I like it when you make it difficult." She whispered, sending a wave of energy through me.

I grit my teeth and I felt my eyes glow brighter. "Expect more of it."

"You are more fun to play with as the stoic immortal." She agreed with a wink.