Plain Sight

– T A Y A H –

I woke abruptly to a dripping on my face. I flinched and glared above me. John watched me with a calm expression and met my eyes over the rag.

"Oh good you're awake."

I cursed and yanked the dripping cloth out of his hand before freezing.

"What has this been used for?" I demanded.

He gave me an innocent look before leaning back onto a chair and finding the walls more interesting. I swore again and flung the wash rag at his face which made a satisfying smack.

"We've bathed in the same river before–it is no different."

"John you had better tell me right now why you woke me like this before I find a way to return the favour." I promised him darkly.

"I'm hungry." He told me factually.

I waited for this to be my problem. His eyes only grew more amused before he spread his legs wider and sank into the chair.

"The tree and I would like to fetch some provisions."

"So go do that." I grit out through my teeth. Suddenly glancing outside and realising daylight was upon us. Which also meant...

"How long has the sun arisen?" I demanded, without waiting for his answer.

"It's nay a quarter sun span why?"

I didn't answer him, instead I went for my red cloak and pulled it over my head before attaching the heavy pouch of silver to my hip. I kicked John's leg as I moved and he grumbled at my mood swing.

"Get Kaden. We're going now." I stated as I dropped carefully to Yanu's sleeping form curled up on the bed. I shook his shoulder carefully and he blinked quickly in panic before those wide eyes landed on me and relaxed.

"Teayah."

I half smiled and nodded my head towards the door. He gathered enough and rubbed his eyes before sitting up. I saw Kaden had not bothered to move from John's calls and grabbed a book nearby and threw it at him.

He swore in Uccellon so disgustingly that I was glad Yanu did not speak the language. 

"John I am going to hit you hard enough that your dead, whore of a mother can feel it–"

"I did not throw that you empty brained horse's testicles!" John snapped right back.

I started sniggering despite it all and stood to my full height stopping Kaden from lunging at him. 

"Let us get food." I said as simply as anything and watching Kaden's angry eyes dissolve instantly and a look of interest and eagerness meet my eyes. So simple. I smirked and patted his shoulder before turning to the door.

John shoved in front of Kaden and the larger giant grabbed him by the back of the collar and dragged him off his feet before striding over him. I stared at them both with a raised brow and a smirk.

"Have you two got... more obnoxious in my absence?" I pondered, watching John glare death at the giant man before dusting himself off and ignoring my comment entirely.

"Not possible–it's simply the pleasures of living with human foliage." He muttered.

"Perhaps you are growing more violent because of your abundant carpet hair upon your faces."