Eyes On the Prize

– T A Y A H –

I hissed through my teeth as my wound woke me. I didn't risk a glance down at it but I had disturbed Yanu. His big eyes were cautious under the mop of dark hair. His skinny arms rushed to get the flask of water.

I shook my head silently and gestured for him to drink. He frowned and stared at my leg again. The wheels of his mind turning. Then he placed the flask down and moved to the metal bars of our cell. I watched with mild curiosity as he slid his small arm through the bars and reached for the flame torch. My eyes widened and I hissed at him in case a guard walked by.

But he clenched the torch and drew it slowly through the bars.

"Yanu if a guard sees you–" I began.

But he dropped it close to my leg with a gesture to my leg before I understood what he sought to do. The fact that a kid this young knew to cauterise a wound alone let me know just how bad this part of the realm was...

I clenched my teeth and gave him a curt nod, raising my leg and biting away the pain. It would increase tenfold once the flames started licking it.

He lowered it quickly and my flesh began to burn. I shoved my fist into my mouth to avoid screaming and waking every other member of our cell. The boy's eyes were wide but focused as the angry red wound was burned shut before us. The pain was familiar and wicked–

He finally yanked it back and I sighed and sunk onto the cool stone floor. He got up and returned the torch behind the bars again before coming to my side with the flask. I felt cool water poured onto my leg and couldn't even protest at the waste because it felt so good.

I opened my eyes again and met his little concerned face with a weak smile. I placed a fist on my chest and nodded.

"Thank you, Yanu."

He gave me a boyish grin that told me he understood enough. He replied in the foreign tongue but finished with, "–Teaya."

I smirked and shook my head.

"How does a good kid end up in a crap hole like this." I muttered to the ceiling.

He sat watching me curiously and I glanced at him. Wishing we could communicate seamlessly. I was sure my Valkyrie studied every language on the realm. She would be able to hold conversations... I chuckled thinking of the calculating and practical immortal before a child. Perhaps she was good with the young generation–perhaps not. She would likely have more patience with a little one than she does with most mortals.

Footsteps interrupted my thoughts and I heard a set of keys.

Two guards appeared in fighting leathers holding short swords and clanged one against the bars. I glared them down as they made a demand in the foreign tongue and pointed at me. The door was yanked open and I limped onto my feet before them. A helmeted guard jutted his jaw out and I pulled Yanu up with me without hesitation.

They did not argue the move this time which saved me from breaking someone's nose.

We walked down the dimly lit stone halls. I watched the back of the first muscled meat in leather and metal. We turned a number of times and I was too dazed to keep a note of it. If my Valkyrie was on her way I needn't bother too much.

We finally arrived outside a large oak door with two more guards posted outside it. One rapped a knuckle on the door. A shout in something came from the other side.

I opened quickly and skull face leered down at us with a grin. He swept an armoured arm inwards like we were dining together. I watched cautiously and passed the guards with Yanu tucked close behind my arm. Once the door closed I relaxed minutely.