Distant Shores

– T A Y A H –

The portal dumped me unceremoniously onto a shore.

I coughed out a mouthful of sand and glared back at the bright light that vanished like a mirage.

"My thanks, Odin." I muttered, getting carefully to my feet. That was until I felt and heard the surge of power above me again and a male shout sounded before two buffoons landed heavily on top of me.

"–IN THE FLYING ASS!"

"Kaden?" I demanded in shock.

John swore colourfully on top of me before glancing below him. "Gods, Tayah if you wanted me that badly you need not–"

"I didn't do this you buffoon!" I shouted, pushing them off me and rolling back into the wet sand. I stared around us briefly and felt the heat of a southern continent.

"What in the whore is going on?" Kaden grunted, dusting sand off his leathers.

"Apparently a God has exiled me with my buffoons." I muttered.

They both looked at me quickly. Then their expressions broke into excited grins.

"You were kicked out of God's little immortal elite so soon?" John demanded, loving this far more than I could have begun to think–

"That's not quite–"

"This is why you shouldn't fraternise with the enemy, Tayah." Kaden told me sombrely. "Leave them in their beds and onto the next–"

"You haven't experienced any next woman!" John interrupted with a scoff.

I cracked a bright ball of flame into my fist before waving it at them. They flinched backwards in shock and confusion.

"I'm still immortal you heathens. I just... lost my stay on the immortal realm." I murmured, glancing down the beach. They seemed to consider this a moment before John shrugged and quickly got over the fact.

"As far as I'm concerned it's good news and we can get back to what we were before this madness."

Kaden nodded and slapped a hand against John's shoulder sending him into the sand. He sent a kick back and Kaden dismissed it with a large arm.

"What of the blonde?" John demanded, through a mouthful of sand.

I didn't answer him. A gaping hole was ripped out inside my chest and I knew it didn't take the men long to realise she would not be joining us. Kaden dipped his head and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I am sorry for the loss, little Ashrive." He offered in a low tone.

John too got to his feet and gave me a long look. He pulled his dark hair from his eyes and nodded.

"Apart from the death in her every stare... she made you happy and I am also sorry you lost it." He murmured near me.

I blew out a breath and pushed a hand through my hair, looking out to the sea before back to the long rocky shore. These thoughts weren't for now. They would be locked for a darker moment when I could steal myself away from them and unleash a lot more than sadness on the landscape around me. She would never not be a presence in my mind.

But knowing she was alive. It was not impossible–not like it was if she had died that night.

"If you women are done nursing me over your bosoms I'd like to find a shelter in this crap hole." I deadpanned, raised an arm around us.