ONE. NORMAL TEENAGER

2020

Destiny sat down, the lights in the living room were low, making the room dark even though the curtains in the windows tried their best to show the light outside. She closed her eyes and stretched her hands across the table, a deep breath in, a deep breath out.

"I'm reaching out for Jaqueline Ocean," She called out a few times the spirit of the girl "Jaqueline, your mother is here with me, she wants to talk to you." She kept quiet, waiting for a response, the pause was long until Destiny opened her eyes again. "Do you have a picture of her? Trying to look for her would be easier for me."

"But wouldn't my daughter come to you? Isn't that how it works?" The older woman asked, the moment she walked in Destiny could see the attitude, she was a new client, and Destiny had to be polite, always be polite, even if they got on her nerves.

"Some spirits are scared to come to the light, scared to speak up, sometimes I have to be the one to look out for them." Destiny tried to explain her best but the older woman wasn't buying it, she just stood up and picked up her stuff, throwing at the table a twenty dollar bill before leaving the place and the girl alone.

"Well that went well." Kendall walked inside the room, turning on the switches, lighting up the room and the corridor of their house "If you don't leave now, we won't be able to make it on time for school, so move it." The older brother clapped his hands a few times to get her attention, the young Brennan stood up and pulled out under the table her backpack.

"I am glad she left, I was getting worried about not being able to stop her or anything." Destiny took the dollar bill and checked if it was a real dollar "At least she gave me twenty dollars, I was going to charge like ten dollars or so, but hey," Destiny slapped her brother's arm "I can get some lunch after school." Kendall rolled his eyes at her, taking the car keys and leaving their home.

"You shouldn't do sessions before school Des, you know that." The older brother pep talk was now a habit between them, it happened everyday now, Destiny was used to it and it wasn't annoying anymore.

"I need the money Kendall, if I want to get into a good college I need money, books aren't cheap." Destiny groaned, slamming the car door shut when she sat on shotgun. "You're in college Kendall, you know how much I need to get in and have everything with me and graduate without a college debt or something."

"Yeah I know, but you have time after school, you need good grades as well, want a scholarship or something, you need to be at the top of classes." Kendall kept on lecturing her driving towards Los Feliz High School, it wasn't that far away from their home which made Destiny wonder why they never let her walk.

The line of vehicles appeared on the entrance of the building, Kendall unlocked the vehicle and sighed deeply, his little sister sat a few minutes inside, waiting to get closer and not wanting to walk just a few feet.

"Des, I know this is more of a dad talk or even a mom talk, but hey, I got to look after you, I know you want to make money, but do it with normal teenage stuff, not any of these things that drove mom away, I don't want you out of our lives and go insane." Kendall parked now in front of the school entrance "Go, be a teenager and study," Destiny chuckled giving her older brother their handshake and finger snap "also, try to find a NORMAL job next time?" The girl chuckled getting out of the car and heading inside.

High School was messy, Destiny disliked the time being here, the only time she enjoyed would be her extracurricular working for the school social media account, it was sort of like the newspaper but modern, Destiny was in charge of taking pictures in social events before sending them to the editors.