A Little Wooden Box

Have you ever felt like words were pointless? Like they didn't matter? Like they were meaningless? Like it didn't matter what you said in that moment, it had no effect on anyone around you? But felt like that in a good way. You felt as if you could sit silently with your loved one. Words were pointless, had no meaning, had no use. Not that you could read each other's mind or anything, you just didn't need to say anything, do anything. You just merely needed to exist in the same room as them to be content.

That's how Farah and Tina felt in that moment. They held each other close, not needing words in that moment, only needing each other's company.

Tina was thinking about everything in her life that she had ever done. Wondering what point in her life had whatever force out there had decided she was worthy. That she deserved this. That she deserved to have someone as amazing as Farah in her life.

Farah, unfortunately, was preoccupied with the events of that day. Thinking about how Patrick had tricked her. How he lied about everything. Thinking about how gullible she was. She was gullible to believe he was a good person. You know what? Screw this, I'm not thinking about this right now. I shouldn't be thinking about that, that's the past. Think about the future. No, screw the future, think about the present. The present, what even is the present now? This case makes absolutely no sense. What can I do? How can I help with this?... THE GHOST!

"Tina!" She sat up sharply and turned to her. "We have to go back to the house! We have to talk to Esther!"

"Who the fuck is Esther?!"

"The ghost from the house, the little girl? Remember?"

"OH! But do we have to now?" She whined, trying to pull Farah back down. "I don't want to get up."

"We're on a case, we can't waste time." Farah stood up and got her shoes on.

"But what about Dirk and Todd?" She sat up.

"Dirk is drunk, he'll slow us down, maybe even put us in danger."

"Doesn't he already do that though? And don't we need him for the holistic thing to work?"

"Eh, we're just talking to a ghost. We don't need him."

"You're acting a lot like me right now... normally you think... Are you high?!"

"No, I wouldn't steal your stuff without asking. I just-she needs help, and we promised we would be back."

Tina sighed in defeat and stood up to walk over to Farah. "Ok, fine."

"Thank you, baby."

"Only for you though." She stroked Farah's cheek lovingly and brought their lips together for a perfect kiss.

"I'm calling Todd." She waited for a moment, nothing. "Damn it! I'll just text him and tell him where we're going."

——————————

As they approached the house, they couldn't help but feel anxious. The scene that unfolded earlier that day was intense, to say the least, and returning left a deep, empty pit in their stomachs. And though it might sound a bit silly, going back at night certainly didn't help.

They once again opened the front door to see the monster, or rather machine, tearing through the floor but only this time it was expected.

Stepping forward cautiously Farah called out, "Esther? It's Farah and Tina, we're back. I'm sorry we left so soon earlier but we're here to talk more if you want."