Chapter 26

NO ONES POV

If you look at the right place at the right time you may see things you wish never to see. You may discover secrets better off left hidden. You may see someone in a new light, when you wished they'd stayed in the dark. You may see a broken boy, laying on the cold hard ground, bruises decorating his skin like stars do the sky, different shades of blues, greens and purples forming constellations on his body. You may see the blood running from his nose or the unsightly angle his ankle was bent. You may see the tears slipping down his cheeks, or the way he shivered slightly due to the cold breeze. You may see Alexander Hamilton; or you may see a broken boy. It all depends on the way you look.

Alexander lay shivering, the hard ground digging into his back, blood trickling from his nose in a steady stream, his ankle screaming at him in pain, a black eye and a busted lip.

But, if you look somewhere else you may see a group of young people all gathered around a collection of beanbags, laughing at stories from previous moments. You may see the way some of them held hands, or the way the two young men, one of which had a strong french accent, kissed each other quickly in between stories. You may see two sisters, one in pink and one in blue, sat in each other's warm sisterly embrace. You may see the third of these sisters lying with her head in her girlfriends lap, the elder playing with the younger's hair.

But you don't get the choice of where you look, it's like tossing a coin, you just have to hope it lands on your side. You just have to hope things play out they way you want them to. But things don't always go they way we hope they will. Or they definitely don't for this group of young people anyway.
————————————————————————

ALEX'S POV

Everything hurts and I feel like lying here forever. But I know that someone will find me eventually, and I can't have that. I push myself into a half sitting position with my arms, and as I move my ankle slightly the pain makes me want to be sick. I choke back a sob, and stand on my other foot. Slowly moving forward a lean against the cabin and hop around the side and into the SMFDR's place. They all look at me.

Reynolds and Lee look proud of their work.
Seabury looks horrified.
James Madison looks pretty average.
Thomas looks very concerned.
George King looks like he's about to laugh.

Wow, thanks guys. I go to move forward but I loose my balance, instead hitting the hard wood flooring with a thud. Thomas stands and softly placed his arms around my back, pulling me against his chest.

"Get out." He growls at the others. Most of them go to move, apart from Reynolds.

"Aww, is little Tommy helping the bastard?" Reynolds cooed mockingly, pronouncing his l's like w's.

"I said Get. Out." Thomas growls menacingly, and if you looked close enough you could see a slight flicker of fear on Reynold's face. He eventually gives up, and Thomas turns back to me- his face softening when he sees the tear tracks running down my bruised skin.

He looks me up and down, and stops when he sees my ankle.

"Alex, this is really bad. We need to get this fixed." Thomas says as he starts to pick me up.

"No! No! You can't tell ANYONE about this! Nobody needs to know!" I plead.

"Alexander, you can't just leave this! It could be broken! You could need surgery for God's sake!" Thomas says exasperatedly.

"I know, I know. Look, I'll figure out a plan; just... give me a minute." I reply, knowing that if Reynolds find out I told Da-Washington John would be done for.

"Okay. So, if I leave earlier than everyone to get to the arena I'm sure I can get Lucifer out and ready in time. And because we're doing hacks into the forest this week I can just stay on Lucifer all day until everyone goes for food!" I suggest.

"Alexander, that's like 9 maybe 10 hours. You can't do that." Thomas says realistically.

"Let's at least try it tomorrow, please Thomas!"

After a few moments of silence he sighs "Fine. Fine."

Before I can thank him he continues "but are you forgetting about the bruises and maybe the black eye? Hmm?"

"WHAT?! I HAVE A BLACK EYE?!" I shout, thinking I only had some minor bruises.

"Okay! Shhh, it's okay. I'll run to the cafeteria and see if I can grab some ice to put on it." He reassures softly, and with that he got up, opened the door and ran into the darkness.

————————————————————————
(TiMe SkIp)

Thomas returned, providing me with ice wrapped in a cloth to put on my face, that's shits cold. We sat in a comfortable silence, me leaning against his chest, out purely platonically. I attempt to stand and accidentally put a bit of pressure on my foot and let out a cry of pain and fall to the floor again.

"Okay, Okay, shhh. Calm down, you're okay. It's fine, hey, look at me okay?" Thomas coos. I turn my head to look at him as tears slip down my face from the pain.

"Good, good. See? It's okay, don't look at it." So there I stay for the rest of the night, seeing as I couldn't really go anywhere else.
————————————————————————
(AnOtHeR tImE sKiP)

It's morning and time for me to head out and start the day. (C-c-c-cmon) Thomas picks me up and we head out, making sure no one would see us. It's crazy really, I really thought Thomas hated me and here he is carrying me around like a baby. Ha.

We reach the stables and get Lucifer out, asking Michael (one of the camp leaders) to help Sade him up. I know I can always rely on Michael to keep a secret, so I didn't mind him seeing Thomas carrying me. He tacked Lucifer up and Thomas sat me on top of the saddle. I attempt to put my feet in the stirrups but a pathetic whimper comes out of my throat as I bite my lip.

"Okay. Look at me, it's fine. It's okay. Nothing wrong." Thomas says reassuringly. We found out that when Thomas does that it really helps calm me down. I look at him and choke back sobs. Once I've calmed down enough I kick my good heel into Lucifers side and move forward.
————————————————————————

(TiMe SkIp x3)

The revolutionaries walk into the arena and Peggy runs up to me.

"Where have you been? What happened to your face?! Why aren't you in the boys cabin anymore? What's going on?!" Peggy bombards me with questions.

"Peggy, drop it, please." I say bluntly. I hate being mean to people. She sighs and nods her head. Score.

They start getting in their assigned horses and after a short practice we head out into the forest.

The hack is nice, at times small periods of rain pass over us, making the floor a bit slippery.
We reach the river and stop for a while. Everyone gets off apart from me and I know everyone's wondering why I'm not sitting down with them.

"Hey Tom cat, why aren't you g-" Peggy begins before so cut her off.

"I'm taking Lucifer for a run, I'll be back soon." I say quickly, soon I'm cantering off into the forest leaving the group behind in the distance.