Caught Chp. 8

CHAPTER EIGHT- REYNA 

My eyes slowly opened and all I saw was darkness. Had it all just been a dream? Or was I still in Quiloe's cave? Did Jason really save me? Did I just have a conversation with him? I sat up and winced. My entire body hurt. Then I remember all those cuts the dracnae gave me, and Jason and the rest of my friends saving me.  

I wince and slowly get up and move around, working the stiffness from my limbs. I stretch gloriously and take off the sheet I'm wearing. I pull on the plain white t-shirt, dark-washed skinny jeans, athletic socks, Nike sneakers, and the pink North Face fleece set out. I hobble out of the room. "Hello?" I rasp. I climb up a line of stairs. Every step is excruciating and every move I make is painful. Like a knife and a needle. I hear footsteps. "Reyna!" Jason says and picks me up.

"Ow!" I cry.

"Are you all right?" he frowns, concerned.

"Shut up. I'm fine. Just a little help here". He escorts me to the sitting room where everyone is congregated. "What's wrong?" I look at their solemn faces.

"The Romans think we kidnapped you and Jason and brainwashed you." Annabeth says sourly. I curse under my breath. "That bastard Octavian. I'll kill him for sure."

"We'll both kill him." Jason confirms. I smile. Leo bursts in. "The Romans... They're here!" We all leap into action and Jason leads me to the armory. I suit up in exquisite Celestial bronze armor, lace up some combat boots, and pull on two quivers of arrows. I pull out a black quiver, reach for a buckler, check for my Imperial gold dagger, and finally grab a pair of long, bronze knives that tie together in a leather X-sheath on my back. At the last moment, I snatch a short sword. I find Jason already fitted up. "You ready, fellow praetor?" he asks.

"Oh you know it. We have to fight these people off, tell them we weren't brain washed or whatever rubbish Octavian made up." I say firmly. We walk steadily out to the deck. "TRAITORS!!!!!!!!!!!! Some allies you turn out to be!" Octavian is already hyped. I ruffle the plume on my helmet. I march forward with Jason at my side. We each hold a sword and a buckler, or in his case a longer shield. "Shut up Octavian!!!!! We were not brainwashed!" I yell my head off at him. He ignores me. Rough hands grab me and separate me and Jason. I scream his name desperately.

Piper is trying to fight to get nearer to him, but there are too many. She is overwhelmed and knocked out. Jason gets tossed onto a giant eagles back. I squirm and bite to get to him. A solider gets on next to his slumped, unconscious body and flies away. "Jason!!!!" I shout his name. An ugly piece of fabric gags me and my hands and feet are tied. I am deliberately thrown onto a chariot pulled by two pegasi. I resist and struggle against my bonds. More hands push me down and I am disarmed fully, leaving me with just my helmet, until that too, is taken. The chariot takes off. I notice an unfamiliar legionnaire driving it. Probably a new recruit. I try and reach his spatha, but his partner pushes me away. I roll over and my nose now reaches the end of the ledge. The dim-witted partner assumes I am about to jump off and props me in- between him and his friend. I manage to spit my gag out. "I am your PRAETOR!" I shriek. I flip over dangerously and finally manage to grab his spatha. With a SHINKK! I cut my bonds and push them both away. I hop onto a Pegasus and un-hitch it. I look around for Jason. There he is! I swoop above the eagle and snatch him up. He looks at me and get on behind in bewilderment. "Where's the Argo?" I ask.

"Taken." he growls angrily. I curse in Latin and then... Jason and I are both pushed off by a chariot.