Caught Chp. 3

CHAPTER THREE-REYNA

"What the heck are you eating Jason?" I ask him curiously.

"Blue waffles. And syrup. From Percy." he says with his mouth full. I wrinkle my nose. "Wuddehyaetin?" he asks.

"Huh?" He swallows before he speaks again. "What are you eating?"

"Oh. Green tea latte and toast. And maple turkey sausages." He nods pleasantly. "Sounds good." Thank the gods Chiron let me sit at the Jupiter-err-Zeus table for meals. I would feel weird sitting alone at the head, even though that's where I would sit as praetor at CJ. I hear a heated conversation arise from Venus's table. Oops. Damn Greeks. Aphrodite. "That's not true." Piper tells a tall, pretty girl. The girl smirks. "Yeah right honey. Got, like, boy issues honey?" Piper glares at her. "Go away Drew. I told you before to back off my business." Drew flutters her long, heavy-duty-mascara eyelashes and sashays away. Piper angrily flings a bagel at her. She spins around. "Got mental issues? This means WAR!" she shouts while grabbing a pastry from some Mercury/Hermes kid and chucking it back. "Food fight!" screams some random person in the growing crowd. "STOP!" I shout as forcefully as possible. Everyone stares at me. "Stop. Someone could get hurt. Or injured. Don't freak out." Drew and Piper stare angrily at me. "She's right. Stop." I expect it to Chiron or Jason, but it's actually Percy, Annabeth's friend. I give him a thankful look. "Yeah kiddos." Bacchus, um, Dionysus, says a little tipsily. I sit back down cautiously, slightly nervous about that Drew character. Hopefully, she'll just storm away.

Too much to hope for.

"How was that your business, Roman?" she sneers. Piper walks up. "For once I agree, Drew. How is it your problem? Between us?" I stand back up. Suddenly, I'm being backed by my new friend, Annabeth. She and I had really bonded after making a bunch of war plans against the Giants with me. "Back off guys. Piper, she just wants to help." You can tell Piper respects Annabeth, because she hesitantly says "All right." and stalks off. Drew follow her to their cabin. "Thanks Wise Girl."

"No problem Reyna. Just watch out for yourself." I nod and go back to my room at the Big House. They had really outdone it. I'm pretty sure Leo and Annabeth had something to do with it. And Jason. It has marvelous deep purple walls, marble columns, gold leaf covering the bedstead and backboard, plush furniture, a tinkling fountain in the center, rich drapery, a ginormous flatscreen TV, gilded mahogany double doors that lead into the hall, and a great dome above, decorated with Roman images and art and a large SPQR laden with gold in the center. Not to mention the separate bathroom with a Jacuzzi, a huge shower, a large window overseeing the strawberry fields, an atrium glass above, a miniscreen, a cozy fireplace, and emerald green granite countertops. They really made me feel welcome here. I read my favorite books, the Lord of the Rings and the A Wrinkle in Time series by the huge, crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling on a cushy purple and bronze bench. Finally, it's eight pm; time to get ready for the dance. I grab a fluffy, white towel, take a shower and dry off. Then, I slip on a pink robe and look in my closet. My wardrobe is fairly big, so it takes me awhile until I select a strapless, white gown with a huge, full skirt, with diamonds scattered everywhere. I put on ivory colored gloves with those tiny diamond studs also decorating it, creamy, open-toe heels, and an embedded-in-sliver, diamond necklace. Finally, I place a tiny tiara of silver (and yet again diamonds) on my black-as-midnight hair. I do my make-up, which I rarely do, only on occasion, involving the scheme of sparkly, silver eyeshadow, and pale, peachy-pink lips. I step out of the house where Jason waits, looking extremely handsome in a black suit and red tie. His blonde hair is slick and smooth, not it's usually spiky self. His eyes widen. "You look amazing Reyna! Like you're Venus herself!" I blush. "It's nothing. I just thought I should wear something nice tonight." he grins and takes my elbow. Voices murmur and rise when everyone notices us. I guess because of Jason. Flustered, I try to focus on something else. I nearly snort out loud. Leo and Piper are cranking out some serious moves! They twist and laugh to the speedy music the DJ is playing on the pavilion. Slower music starts playing and Jason sweeps me away to the dance floor. He firmly grasps my side and my arm and we rock back and forth in small, dainty steps in a circular rotation. I see a few couples glancing and sometimes even rudely pointing at us, most of them from the Aphrodite crew. Of course, they expect him to be with Piper. Then they spot her and Leo and continue swaying their hips. I feel like screaming "Mind your own business! Beauty obsessors!" But I obviously don't. I carefully try to start a mild conversation. "Killed anything lately?" I ask him. He laughs lightly. "Nah. Have you?"

"You know your girl hasn't Jason!" a familiar friendly tone echoes behind me. "Yo Annabeth. 'Sup Percy?" Jason asks. Percy shrugs. "Not much man. You?"

"Nada. Just chillin' with Reyna here." I see more eyes on us. What are we now? A spectacle to watch? I excuse myself to the bathroom. Then I realize something, not a demi-god, is following me.

I know, I'm not very good at cliff-hangers, but I hoped you enjoyed it!