viii

now playing; daddy issues by the neighborhood 

yuki waltz down the hallway with a bounce in her step. she was wearing a bright smile on her lips as she entered the classroom. the clock on her phone read thirty minutes past eight. yuki was early, by almost 30 minuets at that. though, she didn't seem to mind. yuki was going to make sure today was a good day, and she didn't want anything to get in the way of that.

the girl had a pretty rough evening the night prior. her parents were waiting for her in the living room as she hurried back home from bakugo's house. in the moment her mind was racing with every awful thing she could think of. her mind didn't stop even after yuki was standing breathless in front of her parents. they both wore stern expressions, and their lips were pulled into tight frowns.

yuki's parents were both quirkless, and quite proud to be. her mother, yoko, was the only quirkless member of her rather large family. through out yoko's childhood, she was teased by her siblings for being so normal. yoko grew up to be a stubborn and strict woman due to all of the taunting she received when she was younger. deep down, yoko had never liked people with quirks anyways, she viewed them as cocky and she thought they tried too hard.

that's when yoko met yuki's father, sota. a well built man, with tired blue eyes that well matched his daughter's. yuki couldn't recall a time where she saw her father give her or anyone a real, genuine smile. sota differed from his wife in only one way, his whole family was quirkless. so sota had no issue being without one. his opinion on hero's and people with quirks was much like yoko's, he hated them. not out of jealousy, but out of pure disgust. sota never understood why someone would want to be anything more than normal.

one couldn't imagine the feeling both of them felt when young yuki's first grade teacher knocked on their door and gave them the amazing news that she was beginning to show signs of a quirk. And quite a good one at that.

she would be able to save people, from death and harm. a hero, if she pleased, and a spot at the top school in the country.

sota and yoko never looked at their daughter the same way after that, even nearly ten years later. they even stopped having kids because they couldn't shake the feeling that the others would bare a quirk as well. leaving yuki as an only child. yuki's parents were ashamed of yuki, and they didn't keep that a secret from her. they didn't want any of their quirkless friends or even some parts of their family to know that yuki even existed. the trio never spoke much, unless yuki was in trouble. which she was in more often than one would think.

the night went on and on with loud words spilling past sota's lips. he called her possibly every name in the book, followed by 'a disgrace' when he saw the ghost of tears trace down her cheeks. yuki lost count of the amount of time she had apologized, but by the time she could process how truly sorry she was, a cold hand came across her cheek.

a hand she had felt before, a hand that took her tears and dried her sorrow, replacing it with only regret. yuki let out a scoff as her face was forcibly twisted. the slap was quick, but left a long sting. that was when yuki was sent to her room. the girl laid on her bed; she could still feel her father's fingertips leaving her skin, and the sound it made still rung in her ears. she pondered why she still tried with them when it was clear they did not with her. as far as yuki was concerned, she was a mere shadow in her family home. a ghost. 

"fujimori?" a deep, raspy voice called out, pulling yuki from her thoughts. yuki peaked her head up from the doorway to see mr. aizawa sitting at his desk. he had a pen in his hand and a few pieces of paper laying around him. "you're early."

"i know, mr.aizawa," yuki mumbled as she shuffled into the classroom. "i was hoping that was alright? i promise i won't be a bother. just, was hoping for a quiet space."