Chapter 6 Timing and Execution

We were now on the right path to Arcadian. Art and Adam each rode on either side of me; they were so close that if I were to outstretch my arms upward I could hit them both in the face. They were obviously taking this "task" way too seriously. They were discussing how they could sneak me into the castle, because as it turns out ever since my "kidnapping" (which is what everyone, except myself, Art and Adam, Blake, Queen Anabelle, and Mary, thought had happened to me when I left Arcadian) guards have been posted everywhere inside, outside, and near the kingdom's stone walls.

Art then spoke, "So I will distract the guards outside the walls, once their on my tail, you will have to sneak her in as quickly as possible. Then--"

"And then what, I expose myself to everyone inside, what do you think the guards will do to your brother once they see that he is with me, the kidnapped princess. And how in the hell do you suppose we get into the castle, if there are as many guards outside of the stone wall as there are inside how many do you think will be protecting the king and queen and their little bastards." They both stared at me with their mouths agape as if they had no idea I were there.

It was Art, with the master plan, who recovered first, "Why, princess you shall wear this of course," he reached into his overstuffed satchel and pulled out a red velvet hooded traveling cloak. I grasped it in my fingers feeling the soft satin smooth constitution of it. It was quite flattering. "You may keep it if you wish it."

I took it from him and put it on my shoulders, hooking the silver leaf shaped clasp to its counterpart.

"Thank you," I replied sourly, still unsure of their plan.

Adam spoke this time, "As for the protection of the king and queen and their little bastards you just leave that to me."

I was still quite apprehensive that they had no clue as to what it is they were going to do and with a tiring grievance Art had noticed.

"Princess you must trust us, this is not the first time we have done this and if our cousin keeps sending us on trips like this it will not be our last," Art exclaimed. I stared at him for a long moment, scrutinizing him, debating whether or not he can be trusted. He hasn't tried any funny business, neither has Adam. They must know my mind, body, and soul are completely and utterly devoted to Blake. Blake. Tears instantly sprang into my eyes at the thought of him. God, I am such a crybaby. If Blake trusted them enough to accompany me on this journey then I would to, it will take a tremendous amount of effort on my part, but I will do my best.

"All right," and with that I spoke no more of their ability to handle things.

They both looked at each other like they couldn't believe that I was being cooperative.

We had made it, finally. We then got off of the horses and crouching down in the underbrush we observed the guards stationed at my castle walls. We knelt down behind the cover of forestry, we were huddled together a few feet away from where the guards stood, mirroring what serious and alert might look like. Suddenly, Art, still crouched down like a tiger ready to spring, crawled away from us. I moved to follow, but Adam pulled me back. When I looked back at him, confused, he said, "Let him go. It's all part of the plan."

I looked away from Adam to find Art standing out in the open where the guards could see him, but they had not seen him yet he was standing to the right of them and then he picked up a rock and threw it and it hit one of the guards on the side of his face causing him to stagger and his helmet fell off. He quickly reached for it and put it back on his head. I was acutely amazed at his boldness, if he were commoner he would have lost that arm.

"Oy, ya bloody hell Mary's I'm the one who took your beloved princess, why here is one of her extravagant hair clips." Instinctively, my hand flew to my hair to feel around for the missing hair clip and sure enough it was no longer there.

"You fraudulent irish rat!" I tempestuously whispered.

"Shhhh!" Adam anxiously whispered to me. "You have to be silent."

"Me?! Your brother stole my hair--" In mid-sentence Adam put his hand over my mouth and pulled me down with him so we were unanimoulsly concealed. I bit his hand quite hard causing him to take that same hand and cover his own mouth to keep from being outrageously loud.

"You should know that I don't quite like that much either, Adam," I said low enough for only him to hear. Once he had recomposed himself he made a pained face and said, "Right. I shall remember that the next time I think about putting my hand on your face."

Craning my neck to see the action we had missed in our squabble there was not one man in sight and there, where Art was once standing, was my hair clip now lying in the dirt.