Chapter 5 Back to Arcadian

I awoke in the late evening when it seemed everyone was quietly snoozing. I grabbed my satchel and what little I had brought to Kaaden Falls was inside it; I gripped the letter I had wrote just for Blake tightly in my hand. I quickly gathered my things and as quietly as I could left the rooms. I tiptoed to Blake's rooms, which was right across the hall from mine. I contemplated just slipping the letter under the door, but I wanted to see his face just one more time.

Soundlessly, I opened his door and nervously, I stepped inside. And there he was; looking every bit as a king should. His head was propped on a pillow, slightly turned away from me; a book lay there, across his chest; his right arm lay across his flat belly, his left at his side. Leaving the door open I tiptoed farther into his room, making my way over to his bed where his small drawer lie. I took the letter and placed it quietly there. I took one last look at Blake and found a pair of eyes staring right back at me. Startled, I gasped and took a step back. I was completely and utterly confused, here I thought that I was as quiet as a mouse and yet, he still knew I was there.

Slowly, he sat up and rose from the bed. He took one look at me and then at the letter and still looking at the letter, he said, "I don't know what's written inside that letter, but whatever it is I don't want it."

"But, Blake I--"

"No, Amelia I refuse to accept it, I don't want your letter of apologies and good-byes. Whatever it is you have to say you can say it right here and right now." He picked up the letter and handed it to me, swallowing hard I took it from him, looking down at it to avoid his piercing gaze.

"Well?" he urged impatiently.

"I don't know what to say Blake. I'm sorry."

"I don't want your apologies Amelia, I want you to tell me what you're feeling, what you're thinking about right this minute. Because for some reason I feel I am drawn to you, like a moth to a flame and I don't want you to leave without telling me exactly how you feel about me, about us. I--"

I felt his hesitation and I found his captivating eyes once more and saw in them that same vulnerability I saw the second time I took interest in the death of his father.

"I think I've fallen in love with you Amelia." And as he continued to look deep into my eyes, that I thought he was looking into my very soul; he closed the distance between us and tears fell from my eyes at how great it felt to hear him say what I had felt the very moment I saw him.

"I've fallen in love with you too, Blake and by God, I don't want to leave you anymore than you want me to, but I can't just stand by and let that witch destroy my father's life anymore, I have no choice." He brought his hand up to brush back a strand of hair from my face and brought his hand down to rest upon my cheek. "Then, go my fair beauty and promise me you'll come back. Promise me you will." But before I could reply he kissed me, desperately I tried to get closer to him and I wrapped my arms around his waist as I stood on my tiptoes trying to taste more of him. Soon, he broke the kiss and we were both breathing hard and I felt very dizzy.

Blake took my hand and lead me down the stairs and out of the castle to the stables, he went straight to the stall of his stallion, Philip. He let go of my hand and went to stand there with a whimsical look on his face. "I suppose you two have already met," He replied with an adorable smirk on his face.

I blushed, embarrassed that I had been caught; I never get caught, "She wasn't supposed to tell you."

He stood leaning on the stall door, about ready to open it. "I know. Let's just say she didn't exactly release the information voluntarily."

I laughed aloud and walked over to him. "Are you saying that you forced your only sister to tell you what I was up to?"

Suddenly, he had his hands on my hips and he pulled me to him, causing my breathing to become ragged and shaky as I stared into those eyes that seemed to hold me prisoner with their beauty.