Chapter 2

Sophie awoke with a start, she sat up and saw  a maid putting wood in the fire place. When the maid saw Sophie looking up she apologized, “Pardon me Princess, I am just trying to get the fire going.”

“What’s the time?” Sophie asked.

“It’s around six-thirty Miss.”

“Is it? Well, may I have my robe, I’d like to take a stroll in the garden.” Sophie asked the maid.

“Princess, I am not sure that is such a-”

Sophie cut the maid off, “I’ll say it was my idea, do not worry, this will not reflect badly upon you. Now, please fetch me my robe and slippers.”

“Yes, Miss.”

Five minutes later Sophie was out in the fresh morning air. She walked away from the house and to the stable, she loved horses. As she drew near the stable, Sophie wondered if she might go in. There was no one around. Sophie surveyed the area twice then unlatched the door and entered the stable. Inside were two beautiful Arabian horses. Sophie approached the stalls quietly, not wanting to spook the horses. She arrived at the nearest stall and began stoking the creature’s face.

“What’s your name? Hm, you’re quite handsome you know.” Sophie whispered to the horse.

Sophie was petting the other horse when she heard voices from the outside.

“Have you seen her?”One voice asked.

“Only from afar, but she’s a pretty as they make her out to be I reckon.” Replied the other.

The voices sounded like that boys, around Sophie’s age. As they drew closer Sophie realized she must hide. She ran behind the corner and found a closest to hide in.

No sooner had Sophie closed the door, the boys entered.

“I heard her father wants to marry her off to the Duke’s son.” Said the first voice.

“The Duke’s son? He wouldn’t please her, he’s a pansy.”

“Aye, pass me the food would you?”

“Here you go. Do you think the Prince would ever let Princess Sophie marry a commoner?” Inquired the second voice.

“Why? You thinking of asking the Princess to marry you?” The other jeered.

“What, no-”

“Mrs. Tom O’Brady, what a nice name, I’m sure she’d love to trade being a princess for being a stable boy.” The second one mocked.

“I’m not saying that. All I’m saying is that my mother told me that Princess Sophie has seemed uninterested in all the boys that she has been presented with-”

“So, what you are saying Tom, is that Her Royal Highness Princess Sophie of Caledonia is a snob.” The second boy laughed. “Turning up her pretty little nose at everyone.”

Sophie angered that she had been called a snob by someone who neither knew her nor the men she had presented with, leaned back against the wall of the closest causing a great many things to fall. She let out a small cry.

“What the hell was that?” Tom questioned.

Both boys ran over and opened the closest to find Sophie trying to clean up the mess of pots that had just fallen. Sophie turned around without a word.

Both boys stared at her a moment then bowed deeply, taking of their hats as well.

“Honoured to meet you Princess.” They grovelled in unison.