Chapter 10

Colin soon found himself walking towards the extensive garden with Sophie by his side. The lump in his throat grew bigger with every step away from the patio. His eyes stayed glued to the ground.  The sweat dripped down the back of is neck and the inside of his palms. He would have given anything for a way out of the situation.

Sophie was stealing glances at Colin as they walked along. She was mesmerized by his deep brown hair and muscular arms. Sophie silently hoped that she looked okay.

The pair was soon deep in the gardens and Sophie stopped walking. Colin didn’t notice for several seconds but as soon as he did, he turned around.

“Princess, is everything all right?”

Sophie smiled; she could finally see Colin’s penetrating blue eyes. In nervousness, Sophie stumbled over her words, “N-no, I am fine.” She paused and walked a few steps towards Colin; in return he moved backwards. However, he soon hit a bush and Sophie continued towards him until she was only two feet from his face.

“Why did you leave so abruptly yesterday?”

Colin swallowed, “I uh… I uh…”

Sophie waited for a few moments then repeated the question.

“Princess, I had to get home. We were having problems with the cows that morning and I thought it best to get home as soon as I was able.” Colin lied.

Sophie took a step closer, “I don’t believe you.” She countered.

Colin licked his lips and scratched his head, “That’s why I left. There is no other reason.”

Sophie stepped back and whispered, “It wasn’t because you were nervous around me?”

Colin shook his head, “No Princess. Why would be nervous around you?”

Sophie face fell. She was so crestfallen that Colin wasn’t nervous around her for her father had said that if he thought that she was pretty he would be nervous around her. She turned away from Colin.

Colin could sense Sophie’s sadness and asked, “Princess I am sorry if I have offended you in any way-”

Sophie cut him off, “No, it’s just that Papa told me that if you thought I was attractive you would be nervous around me but you’re not so…”

Colin took a step a forward, “I…I…I do think that you are very beautiful Princess.”

Sophie’s face erupted into a smile and she gasped, “Really!” She giggled.

Colin scratched his ear then gave Sophie a look that she was sure meant that he did.

Colin was relieved that the awkwardness was over with. Looking at Sophie giggle like that made him realize that she was the prettiest girl he’d ever seen. Her green eyes shone like the sun. 

“Would you like to continue walking?” Sophie asked.

Colin nodded and gestured for Sophie to go first.

“Have you lived in Coe Hill all your life?” Sophie inquired as they walked alone the garden paths.

“Yep, ever since I was a wee baby. What about you Princess, have you always lived in Appleby?”

“You can call me Sophie and yes, I have lived there for my entire life. It’s lovely there have you ever been?”

Colin sighed, “Aye no, I have never really left Coe Hill. Is it nice in Appleby?”

“I think it’s beautiful. On our property there are miles upon miles of green fields and at the end of them forest. I lose myself in them when I go riding. At night the stars shine down like rain; I stay out for hours looking at them with Papa.” Sophie paused then continued, “I miss it very much right now; we have been travelling for the last fortnight.”