Chapter 6

Sorry this one is shorter, I have been wraped up in work lately. Also, the discussion at the end is a set up for next chapter, which is why the conversation goes into the deapth it does.

Thanks for reading!

____________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, in Coe Hill, a small girl scurried down the tiny dirt road leading to her family’s farm. When she reached the house she ripped open the door and yelled inside, “Mama! Mama!”

Her mother, who had been darning some dishrags, didn’t even look up at her daughter as she responded, “What Jessica?”

Jessica, who was now thoroughly out of breath from her sprint, stopped to catch it then continued, “Did you hear that Princess Sophie is in town?”

“Yes Jessica, I did.”

“Did you hear that she is injured?”

“Yes, Jessica.” Her mother sounded completely unimpressed.

“Are you not excited at the idea that a princess is here and that she must stay for a fortnight because she hurt?” Jessica asked excitedly.

“You are happy that Princess Sophie is hurt?”

“No, of course not. But I am happy that she is here, I think she is splendid! I would love to meet her. People say she is brilliant company.”

“How do you plan on meeting her? It would be hard enough to do if she were will but since she is ill I suspect her father will be keeping her under a tight watch.”

Jessica sighed, she knew her mother was right, but there had to be a way.

“Now if you are quite through with your stories, the chickens need fed and their eggs must be brought to Dr. Wilson. We owe him the eggs for treating your father’s cold.”

Jessica fed the chickens and collected the eggs, put them in a basket and headed over to the Dr. Wilson’s office.

Jessica wanted to meet Princess Sophie so badly. Though Jessica wasn’t sure why she wanted to meet the Princess.  Sophie seemed so suave and put together. Jessica then thought of a way she could meet the Princess. Her brother Colin, worked in the castle, she could get him to bring her with him. She would ask Colin when she got home.

Soon Jessica arrived at Dr. Wilson’s.  She knocked on the door. Mrs. Wilson answered the door, “Oh, Miss. Jessica! Come in, come in.” Jessica came into the building.

“How does your father Miss?”

“He’s much better, thank you for asking Ma’am. My mother has sent over some eggs.”

Mrs. Wilson took the basket from Sophie just as Dr. Wilson came out of his examination room, calling out to his wife, “Amelia, We have to leave, I told the Prince I would be there at 10 and it’s nearly 9:30!”

Mrs. Wilson turned around, “How many times have I told you that I am going to call on Mrs. Boyd and the baby!”

“Amelia, I need you to come with me to help me with the Princess, I need a woman to come and clam her.” Dr. Wilson said as he gathered his things.

Mrs. Wilson thought for a moment then looked at Jessica. “Take Miss. Jessica Jim, she’ll be helpful.

Dr. Wilson looked at Jessica, “She’ll do. Come now Miss. I need you to carry the bandages and the cough syrup.” Dr. Wilson placed the items in a basket. “Hurry on; we have to be there by 10.”

Dr. Wilson and Jessica left his office and hurried to the castle. On the way Dr. Wilson explained to Jessica how she was to act in the presence of the Prince and Princess but Jessica wasn’t listening, she was too thrilled!