chapter 3 - school

chapter 3 * school*

I strutted down the school corridors, my usually knotty bronze hair straightened, now smooth and glossy. Many people were staring at me as I glided down the corridor, but I'm used to it.

"Heya. Izzy!" my best friend Hannah beckoned me over. She was in her usual not-so-school -uniform uniform!  Her black skinnies were studded with gems on the pockets; the supposedly white tee shirt was a long sleeved grey top with a pattern of silver stars. Her earrings were small glass cut diamonds and she was wearing her favourite hoodie, white with gold edges.

"Heya Hannah! Good weekend?" I greeted her with a hug.

"Yeah okay I guess. Mum made me look clean my room yesterday, it took me the whole day! Seriously." Hannah complained, her glossy lips now pouting.

"Aw... oh well at lease it's over with! Nice lip gloss by the way! Can I try some?" I asked. Hannah searched in her hoodie and produced a pearl pink lip gloss.

I opened my locker, and gazed at myself in my 6 inch mirror. I admired my new silver hoop earrings and touched up my Smokey eyed make-up.

"Ta!" I took Hannah's lip gloss and applied it slowly and smoothly.

"You look fab! New skirt?" Hannah surveyed me. I looked down at what I was wearing; a black skirt above the knee, criss-cross tights and my favourite suede boots. I decided to wear a pastel pink top and a chain with a little silver starfish pendant resting on my neck.

"Yeah I got it on Friday after school with Sam!" I said enthusiastically. I bundled my books into my locker and started down the corridor, Hannah at my side.

"Look there's Lucas. Do you think he noticed me?" Hannah went very pink, as she did with about any male within 5 meters of her.

"Who?" I said unwarily.

"Lucas! The love of my life! He's totally F.A.B!" Hannah shivered.

"Right...the love of your life, until you turn the corner and declare undying love for next hottie you see." I moaned.

"Shut-up Isabella!" Hannah wailed.

"Let's go to form class okay?" we turned down another corridor we were in the Art department, one of the doors being our form class. We dumped our bags by the door as it was locked and lent on the heater, our usual spot.

"Hello gorgeous!" A tall muscular boy called over at us.

"Hey. You look like you're in a rugby team, do you work out?" Hannah flirted (As always).

"Hannah. Don't!" I warned. The list of all the boys Hannah had gone out with is about to get even longer.

"Hannah? That's a nice name." The boy came across to us, smiling, flirting back. Hannah was lapping up the attention.

"If you like the sound of my name, you should hear my phone number!" Hannah fluttered her eyes. That's not the first time I've heard that chat up line.

Then at that precise moment, our form tutor, an old shrivelled up man, walked passed and unlocked the class tutor room. I pushed my best friend into our form room, taking our bags with us.

"Izzy! Why did you do that? I was really starting to like that guy!" Hannah moaned. I just simply rolled my eyes and sank into one of the big bean bags at the back of the art room. I opened up my bag, a black leather shoulder bag with an embroidered butterfly design. I and Hannah sifted through our favourite magazines, Mizz and SHOUT!  Slowly our form room filled up, everyone taking their usual spaces, painting their nails or texting under the table.

"Hey Izzy... How was your weekend?" James Lewis smiled.

"Okay I guess. Anyway I'm kinda busy so talk another time okay?" I swiftly ended a rather awkward conversation.

Finally the pips went signalling the end of tutor time. I groaned remembering that I had PE first lesson, accompanied by double maths an English test and then biology. Woo-hoo.

When my frustratingly long school day finally drew to a close, my bag was weighed down with pages of homework. It had started raining so I and Hannah rushed home, rather damp.

Hannah's house was a half hour bus ride away, so I decided she could stay at mine until the rain had cleared. We spent most of our time up in my room, Katy Perry songs on full blast, doing our many pages of homework. After an hour of writing about DNA I and Hannah decided to desert the homework and crazy dance around the room, leaping off the bed, making wicked air guitar faces.

Sooner than I thought, mum was home from work and she agreed to drop Hannah off on her way to picking up savannah from playgroup. I noticed mum was acting a little different than usual, maybe a little too happy than usual.

Whilst mum and Hannah were gone I ventured up to my room and sank into my bed. I checked my phone for the time and realised I had 3 messages. One from mum telling me she would be home early, one from Sam asking how I was, and one from Jerry. The last one was surprising because I didn't know that jerry even knew how to use a mobile, let alone send a text message.  This is what it read: Izzy, how are you? This is jerry here. How is your mum doing? She properly told you that I'm staying and my mums for a while. You are welcome to come up to see me at any time. I have a Friends DVD for you from my mother. Hope you are well, jerry.

I could tell jerry was hinting for me to stay with him for a bit, and I wanted to. Even though Jerry is my step-dad I'm closer to him than my own mother, which sounds awful but it's true. I dialled his number, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to say. He picked up relatively quickly.

"Jerry?" I asked.

"Izzy! How are you?" Jerry replied, sounding genuinely happy to hear from me.

"I'm good, yeah. I got your text. Since when did you learn how to text?" I asked.

"Oi cheeky! I know how to text! So how is your mother?" Jerry asked cautiously.

"She's more happy than normal. Jerry is it true that I can come and stay with you and your mum for a bit?" I asked hopefully.

"Yes! You're welcome anytime, but just for 4 days max ok? Your mum would think I'm going to steal you off to Mexico or something!" he joked.

"Okay well i'll come tomorrow because it's Friday and then I can stay the weekend." I suggested. "Sure.  Just make sure you tell your mum where you are. I have to go now Izzy but I'll see you tomorrow. Bye for now!" Jerry closed the conversation.

"Bye." I whispered. Tears streamed down my face, cold and slithery like a serpent. Jerry will come back I know it.

After a while, Mum came back with savannah, and I could hear mum hovering downstairs as always, no doubt soon after hovering she will clean the surfaces three times over as well.

Slowly I drifted off to sleep, and for once, little savannah wasn't taking up most the bed, neither was she in the room, asking for a book or 'nana'.

****

i really like this chapter because it has funny chat up lines!