LI

Christmas break had ended — and Love had concocted a brilliant plan. Due to Justin's grades dropping, he'd been let go from the team. And Love knew how important football was to him. So she was willing to go out of her comfort zone to help him.

Love entered school, feeling anxious as ever. She initially wanted to approach Dre, and begin the plan through him, but he wasn't in charge of what happened within the team. It was the Captain. Nobody who took the role of team captain would ever amount to Kenny. And they knew that. But this captain was the only guy who Love avoided at all costs. He was the one who began the creepy comments and stares, egging on Love and Rowan to make out in front of them.

Justin had done so much for Love, though. He'd helped her through such a struggle and continued to respect her wishes. He'd been there for her no matter what — and it's only right that she does the same. So talking to him was the least she could do.

She was lingering around where the jocks gather, scanning the wide crowd of people for the traditional green letterman jacket. Not a single one in sight, however, Justin rapidly approached her.

"Hey, Love." He smiled, flashing his cheeky smile. "Don't you have a meeting to get to?" Of course. How could she forget? She sighed at the thought of it. After every break she'd have an evaluation, and it was beginning to get boring.

"Yeah," she chuckled, awkwardly. "I'll see you later." Justin stopped her by her wrist, holding it gently and spinning her around. This was enough to make anyone think they were dating, especially the way Love smiled back at him.

"Not so fast." He muttered, folding his arms. "Why were you waiting near the jock lockers?" He furrowed his brows. He knew all about their taunts and especially the Captain's behaviour towards her. He was one comment away from a brawl ensuing.

"I was waiting for Dre, he has the Christmas break English homework." She lied. It checked out, every senior had homework throughout every break, so Justin thought nothing of it. In fact, it reminded him of his own homework that needed to be done.

"Okay," he mumbled, releasing any tension from his shoulders. "Find me at lunch." His arms slid around her shoulders, pulling her in tightly. She never knew how much she needed that hug until it stopped, but as Justin walked away, the jocks had appeared and were ready to claim their spot in the hallway.

"Miss Weston," the captain spoke. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" The other team members stood around him, and they looked intimidating to say the least. Arms folded, stone cold facial expressions. Except Dre, who stood casually with a look of worry. He knew how the team treated her, and never hoped for a day where they'd be in close proximity again.

"I have a favour to ask." She replied, hoping they couldn't recognise her cowering. "I know you and I aren't friends, our only connection was Kenny. And he'd do this for me in a heartbeat." He was waiting for her to reply, but she didn't know if she could say it. Would it come with a price?

"I want Justin back on the team. He's had a great report card, he's only made a minor slip. He's great at football." She explained. He scoffed and rolled his eyes, but with a nudge from Dre, he seemed to have a change of heart.

"I'm doing this for Kenny, I know he'd want me to treat you how he did. I can never live up to him, but I can try. So I'll make it happen." He confessed. Love had a small celebration in her head, unable to wait and find Justin. But she wanted to keep it a surprise.

"I'll find him tomorrow and talk with him about it." He responded, leaving Love a hopeful mess in the hallway.

She'd been to her meeting and gotten through the day successfully, making plans with Justin as she'd returned to her car.

I'll be at yours within the hour, I have some news.

Justin: Sounds good.

That text was enough to make Justin shiver — what could the news be? Was it good or bad? He'd driven home, making sure to shower and clean up his boyish apartment. He could barely sit still with how jittery he was, waiting for Love so impatiently.

When her car rolled up, he contained himself whilst she entered and sat down on his bed casually. He was glad she was so comfortable here, and that she didn't have to be reserved around him. She handed him a bag of Chick-fil-a, smiling and patting the bed beside her.

Digging in, she thought of how to word it. You're back on the team? No. I got you your spot back by doing something I never wanted to do? No, that sounded patronising.

"I spoke to the captain of the team today." She murmured, hoping he didn't hear her and how lame that sounded aloud. He put down his food and stared at her in bewilderment.

"Why?" He questioned. He pieced it together, wondering why he didn't do it sooner. "Is that why you were near the jock lockers?" Love nodded hesitantly. "What did you say?" He wasn't worried about what she said, but what he did.

"I asked if he could get you back on the team, and he said yes. I think he felt bad for me about Kenny, so that's probably why he did it, but it happened nonetheless." She smiled. She went through all that effort for him, doing things she should never have to do; for him. He knew he was head over heels in love with her, and he could barely contain it anymore. It was killing him not to have her.

"Love Weston," he spoke, ever so softly. "You are a diamond amongst stones." Their embrace was short, but he squeezed her with every ounce of love he had in his body. It was his way of showing her that he loved her.