XLVIII

Weeks had passed, and they were just entering into their Christmas break. The town, still sunny as ever, was decorated with lights and trees galore. Love loved Christmas; it was her favourite time of the year. Making gingerbread men, listening to Christmas music, watching Christmas movies, drinking hot cocoa, wearing ugly Christmas sweaters. It was the three of them this year, but this year wasn't so hard. Last year, their first year without Kenny, was gut wrenching. It felt wrong to celebrate Christmas without him. It was like we were waiting for him to come home before we opened gifts, but he just never showed up.

Justin would be spending Christmas alone this year, or so he thought. The instant the school day finished, she rushed home without a word to Justin. Her mom had Christmas break completely off, and the house was decorated the second December hit them.

"Mom," Love called out, entering her home. She could smell cinnamon, so she had made her way to the kitchen. Her mom and Margot were making gingerbread men together with a Christmas radio station on in the background. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

Her mom had become worried. All she did was worry for this family now, she'd become paranoid if Love wasn't home on time. She followed her eldest daughter into the living room, sitting on the couch beside her. Love looked nervous, and she couldn't begin to think why.

"I know it's a big ask," Love began, fiddling with the rings on her fingers. "But could Justin stay for Christmas? He lives on his own and has no family, and I don't want him to be alone for the holidays." Her mom, surprisingly enough, couldn't be happier. It was an extra guest for Christmas, giving her more incentive to cook a glorious meal, and someone else to spoil with some gifts. Most of all, she was proud of how caring her daughter was. Losing three of the most important people in her life, she'd done with grief what most people would be scared to do, she faced it head on and used it for the better. She now advises students at her school, who go through bullying and family issues, as she did. And her friendship, relationship, whatever it was, with Justin was beautiful.

"Of course. Let him know he can stay over whenever, we have a spare room always available." Her mom replied, returning back to the kitchen. Love remembered the conversation that went into that spare room. It was originally their dad's office, before he passed, and after he did, Kenny was straight onto it. Their mom hadn't quite processed her husband's death, so keeping his office was a must. Kenny would beg and beg and beg, finally getting his way. It was turned into a spare room, for whoever stayed the night.

"Oh, Love?" Her mom called. Love was just heading upstairs, quickly running back downstairs after hearing her mom's voice. "Aunt Olivia won't make it this Christmas, she's having Christmas in New York." Love nodded in confirmation and ran upstairs, leaping onto her bed and telling Justin the good news.

"Hey." She chirped, as he finally answered the call. He was laying in bed, playing on his console and was mid-game when Love called him. But he couldn't miss the call, so he took a quick second to answer it and sandwich it between his shoulder and cheek.

"Hey, what's up Love?" He asked, the game finished and his body easing. His emerged victorious, returning to the home screen.

"How would you feel about staying for the holidays?" She asked. Justin would love it. Period. Having Christmas with Love and her family sounded like heaven, especially since he didn't want to be alone. "Because I spoke to my mom and she said it was okay, now it's up to you?"

"Um," he stuttered, trying to find a cool way of saying 'yes' without sounding too excited. "Sure. That sounds good." There was a brief moment where nobody spoke, Love listening to whatever was in the background of his line.

"Are you..." Love paused again, furrowing her brows. "Playing a game?" He giggled and spoke a soft 'yeah' to her, hearing her squeal. "And not just any game, that's the game I play. Can we play together?"

"Of course," he mentioned. "Are you scared for your report card?" He definitely was. He'd been working so hard over the past few weeks leading up to Christmas break, and he was hoping it pays off.

"Yeah, I missed a big gap of school near Kenny's anniversary, but I think you'll do great. You've made amazing effort." He smiled at her comment, losing himself in her smooth as silk voice. "Now get online so we can play."

He chuckled and ended the call, throwing his headset over his ears and starting a new game.