37 - Candid Memories

The moment Ezekiel steps foot out of his car, the calm ambiance that had temporarily settled instantly dissipates. Jungkook's arm around your waist tightens and he pulls you further into his side. The others subconsciously step in front of the two of you, blocking you from Ezekiel's direct line of sight.

"Good morning, everyone." The man smiles but you can't help but notice how unnaturally his lips curl. The sight alone is enough to make your stomach churn uneasily. Your arms fly out to wrap tightly around Jungkook's waist and he instinctively rests his chin on your head - successfully tucking you into his embrace.

"Good morning, Ezekiel," Jimin responds curtly, voice void of emotion.

"How are you doing, Jungkook?" Ezekiel asks as he steps around the group to stand in front of the bunny hybrid. Before the man can reach a hand out to pat Jungkook on his shoulder, Hoseok lets out a startling growl - deep rumbles emitting from deep within his chest. Everyone jumps at the menacing sound coming from the usually exuberant dog hybrid. However, Ezekiel doesn't even bat an eyelash at the sudden noise. In fact, he calmly glances over at Hoseok with an unreadable expression dancing around in his eyes. Hoseok meets his calm gaze and his growls falter a little before growling a little louder than before.

"Hobi," Taehyung calls out tentatively, reaching a hand out to touch the growling hybrid in an attempt to calm him.

"You better take care of him like your life depends on it," Hoseok spits out with gritted teeth. "He just won back his own freedom from years of torment. If I find out you so much as lay a hand on a single hair on him, I will make sure you pay for it."

"Don't worry, pup," Ezekiel chuckles in amusement. "I'll take very good care of your friend."

You watch as Hoseok's eyebrows furrow, clearly not liking how lightly the man is taking this matter. The dog hybrid tries to lunge at Ezekiel but Taehyung and Namjoon are quick to hold the fuming hybrid back.

"Hobi, that's enough," Jimin mutters under his breath with a small shake of his head. "I'll help you load Jungkook's luggage into your car, then we can get going. I'll need you to sign some papers once Jungkook arrives at your house - Chief's orders."

"Do you only have one luggage, bunny? No backpack?" Ezekiel asks when he takes notice of Jimin carrying Jungkook's only luggage.

"No, that's everything," the bunny hybrid responds tersely.

"What about a wallet? Or perhaps a phone?" The moment the man's words ring through your ears, all of your earlier suspicions are confirmed. This man really won't even allow Jungkook to keep his own phone.

"Jungkook doesn't own those things. He was always with us so none of us really saw the need to buy it for him. If he ever wanted to buy something, I would just pay for it. And if he ever got bored, he just played on my phone. Although, I'm sure he wouldn't be against it if you wanted to buy them for him," you speak up, catching Ezekiel's attention. The man studies your face for a couple of seconds and you try your best not to squirm under his scrutinizing gaze.

"Oh, well since Jungkook will be with me all the time from now on, I don't think he'll be needing those things either. Just as you provided for him, I can buy him what he needs and if he wants, I have an old phone that he can play games on." You practically growl under your breath at his smug tone which causes Jungkook's arm around your waist to tighten in a squeeze.

"Well then I guess that's settled," you smile numbly.

"Let's get going, Jungkook. I have to head to work soon and I'm sure Y/N needs to open up the clinic soon," Ezekiel hums, eyes glancing back at the clinic's door. Your smile falters and you immediately turn yourself around until you're staring directly into Jungkook's big doe eyes.