Chapter 2

<August 2021>

"Alright everyone, I have an announcement, a very good one. SM is planning on debuting a new girl group soon next January. We have been monitoring you for the past years but we want to make sure if you're capable on becoming an idol. Which is why there'll be 3 assessments for next month. The first assessment is to perform a song that is in your forte. The second one would be doing a song that challenges your weaknesses, the second assessment's song is chosen by the teachers and it'll be announce later on. The third one would remain a secret until further notice." Ms. Choi announced.

The atmosphere in the room immediately tensed, this is the moment that everyone has been waiting for, debut. Everyone would immediately start training their ass more after this announcement.

Let's just pray that my favorite training room won't be taken by anyone.

I sighed inwardly in my head as I secretly looked around to see every female trainees' reactions. Some were determined, some were deep in thought and some just acted indifferent.

"You guys are allowed to do self practice right now, make sure to choose the right song that highlights your skills." Ms. Choi dismissed us.

I pulled out my phone and started scrolling down my KPOP playlist, what song should I do this time? What is something that I can pull well but haven't shown yet?

"Eunhye." someone called out to me, breaking me away from my thoughts. I looked over to see Im Gaeun, one of the older trainees here but definitely one of the nicest. She never paid mind to what the other trainees gossip about me, always treating me with the same kindness she treats other people with.

If I were to guess who the company has in mind for the new group, Gaeun would definitely be one of the top choices. Not only that she's extremely pretty and talented, she is definitely leader material.

I bowed slightly to her with a small smile, "Hello, Gaeun unnie." I greeted her before standing straight properly again.

"You're always so polite." she smiled widely and pat my head, I just looked at her and gave her my eye smile. "And so cute!" she squealed before pinching my cheeks. I only smiled sheepishly while muttering a thankyou to her for the compliment.

"Let's work hard to debut, okay? I want to be in the same group as you." she said with a happy tone, causing me to be surprised but I didn't show it in my face. 

I don't think I can debut, to be honest.

I hid my frown with a polite smile, "I'll work hard, I really do hope you'll get to debut, unnie." I said to her genuinely. 

A look of sadness passed through her face before she started covering it with her cheerfulness again. "I really do hope so too. Thankyou, Eunhye." she said gratefully before excusing herself to practice.

I sat down and scrolled down my phone again, the pressure adding inside me. What should I perform, what should I bring? What is the concept that I can call my own that other trainees cannot do?

I finally let out a sigh and looked around to find inspiration. Most of the female trainees are practicing to a girl crush or a cute concept song. I decided to just dance to random songs for practice, waiting for inspiration to strike me.

***

"And I still don't have inspiration." I groaned to myself. As soon as self practice time ended, I immediately went to my favorite practice room. Luckily, it seems like other trainees aren't interested in practicing overnight so I can still claim this place as my own.

Should I do Red Velvet? But I don't have the power to cover Wendy and Seulgi sunbaenim's parts. 

Or should I do Twice? It's out of my comfort zone though, since I can't pull off cute expressions.