Chapter 3: Team Selection Test Part 1

Kai watched in awe as a girl named Nora followed a guy named Ren out of the locker room, darting all over the place and talking all the way. Seriously how can someone be so energetic in the morning. He shook his head and went to find his locker. Apparently each student was assigned a locker to store their weapons and gadgets. It was handled by the school the previous day, when they were all asked to submit their weapons before the “sleepover”. As a result, the students had to look for their assigned lockers to retrieve their gear.  Luckily, each student was also assigned a scroll; which is basically a fancy holographic tablet; from which they received announcements and updates, such as, their assigned locker number.

Jaune: “This is ridiculous, there’s no way I put my gear in locker 636 yesterday, I don’t remember having to count that high!” he walked around frantically and whined, “Why does this have to happen today?”

Well luckily Kai had found his own locker, at locker 322. He opened it up to find his blade laying inside, ready for action. Kai picked it up and whispered to it, ‘well Raze, looks like you’ll be my partner for today’.

Yang: “Aww are you talking to your sword, that’s so cuute”

Ruby and Yang approached Kai, who was just about tired of being called weird things by this blonde girl. “Raze…isn’t…cute”, Kai grabbed the giant blade by the hilt at pointed it straight at the girls, “It’s a highly advanced, highly dangerous weapon of mass destruction, fueled by the semblance of the wielder.”

Ruby: “Kai, Yang doesn’t want to be on a team with me”, she pointed an accusatory finger at Yang, “even though we’re sisters. I feel so betrayed”. The team selection test was this morning; it was the test that would determine the teammates each student would spend the rest of their 4 years in the academy with. For Kai, the test would determine whether he would even stay at the school, as per his deal with Ozpin.

Yang: “Hey I didn’t say that! I just said it might be good to form a team with other people so you can make friends with them”

Ruby: “Liar! It’s all a part of your criminal plan to get rid of me!”

Kai groaned loudly. He was never going to get used to the girls' pointless bickering. As he opened his mouth to speak, a loud cry came from the front of the locker room, “Aaaaah”. The three turned to see that, somehow, Pyrrah had impaled Jaune, with her spear, to the wall near the front, and then she called out to him, “I’m sorry”.  Kai planted his palm to his face and sighed. At this rate, he just might not decide to stay after all.

Just then Glynda’s voice came over the monitor in the room, “Would all first year students please report to Beacon cliff for initiation. I repeat, all first year students report to beacon cliff immediately.” Well it’s time to leave. But first Kai, Ruby and Yang went to retrieve Jaune, who was now on the floor, having fallen after Pyrrah took her spear out and left the room.

Yang: “Having some trouble there lady killer”

Kai: “Come on Jaune, let’s go” He extended his hand to Jaune.

Jaune: “I don’t understand, my dad said all women look for is confidence” He hung his head, “Where did I go wrong?”. As Jaune took Kai’s hand and helped him up, Ruby went over to the other side to support him too. The two of them then helped Jaune out of the room, accompanied by a giggling Yang.

~Beacon Cliff~

At the edge of the cliff, overlooking a vast forest, all the first year students lined up, each one standing on a stone platform of some sort, with Professor Ozpin and Glynda Goodwitch facing them.

Ozpin: “For years you have trained to become warriors, today your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald forest.”

Glynda: “Now, I’m sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of teams, well allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given your teammates, today.” Ruby let out a small whimper beside Kai, on the left side to be exact, with Jaune on the right.