chapter five

「I was taught to survive before I was taught to speak the human tongue」

Wasting no time, I ran up the steps and entered the temple grounds with the screaming flea complaining at my shoulder. The grounds were covered in thick webs. It was a rather disturbing sight to see sacred grounds covered in vile aura.

I scanned the area, dodging incoming attacks from spider head demons as I searched for a different aura. Eventually, I caught sight of three human auras deep within the temple. "I have found them, please hang on tightly as to not fall off, elder Myōga." A scared whine came form the tiny demon as I raced into the building, a hoard of spider demons making chase.

Crashing through walls of shōji after shōji doors, my arms held up to guard my face, it took little to no time for me to find the small group the flea had told me of. And just in time as well seeing how one of the humans was caught in a demon's clutches.

Putting force into my steps, I kicked off the once polished floors and cut the human boy free, the strain from the needed force to cut through made my shoulders ache. These daggers are more of a hindrance then I initially thought. The boy fell limp to the ground and one of the girls, as well as a small fox child, ran to his paralysed aid.

"Master Inuyasha!" The flea jumped off my shoulder to aid the boy. Is that boy not human? Perhaps half demon then? Such unfortunate timing.

Facing the demon, the one that appeared to be the leader of the spider heads, I gripped my two daggers tightly. "Elder Myōga, please take your master and the others somewhere safe. I will hold them off till you are safe."

"It swallowed a few shards of the Shikon Jewel, you'll be killed!" The little fox demon informed while the girl in strange clothes slung the boy's arm over her shoulders to try and carry him.

"Then find somewhere safe and I'll follow from behind!" I shouted, trying my best to cut through the web attacks as they came. If only I had a sharper blade.

The younger of the girls informed the group of a small room at the end of the side hall. I urged them to go there quickly while using my two blades to block the demon from biting me as well. Unfortunately both daggers shattered during the process.

I Was the last to enter the small room, holding the sliding door shut and thanking all seers of fortune that it was not a shōji door, but a sturdy wooden one. The strangely clothed girl then took a beaten up old sword and embedded it into the wood of the door, as the flea demon instructed her to do so, and a sort of barrier forming to repel the pursuing demon.

Sighing in relief, now having a short moment to breath, I turned my attention to the group. The boy was unconscious while the two girls and little fox were, too, eyeing me with slight caution. "Do not worry, I mean no harm."

"I am the one who brought her here, with Master Inuyasha's current condition we need all the help we can get." Elder Myōga spoke up in my defence. "We are very lucky that she was in the area close enough for me to get her in time!"

The strangely clothed girl glared at the flea in suspicion. "Oh? You sure you just didn't run into her by chance when you were trying to flee and she dragged you back?" The little cowardly demon became nervous at the accusation.

"Details can be discussed after we have survived this ordeal." I interjected, motioning to the unconscious boy. "For now, let us tend to your friend first and foremost." It was clear that the boy had been poisoned, the flea demon acted quickly and drew the poison from his blood, resulting in the tiny demon growing into the size nearly that of the tired fox child.

The strange girl dabbed at the boy's forehead, to clean off the fever's sweat. That was when the boy regained consciousness. The two were having a moment, to which I left them to it, while the rest fell fast asleep; the adrenaline having left them spent. I brushed off the sleeves of my black kimono while sitting off to the side and away from the hot-and-cold couple.

Daybreak came quickly and the room began to shake. The demon monk was making a move to break into the room. The walls collapsed and I pulled the little girl in green close to protect her from the falling debris. The demon had crushed half the temple as it had grown to a massive size. I released the child as she yelled at the demon, using the short distraction to grasp the fallen, old sword. It was sure to be better then the shattered remains of my temporary weapons.

The sword became sharp and larger in size, upon my taking hold. This seemed to shock the strange girl, the flea and the fox child. Survival first, questions after. I must finish this quickly and return to Rin and my Lord. Charging forward, I was successful in severing half of the demon's limbs before being caught in its grasp. Its tight hold causing me to drop the sword.

If luck has not been by my side before, it certainly was now. Through the sword fell from my grasp, reverting back to its beaten form, it was caught in the hands of the human looking boy. "You're pretty gutsy," he commented, "for a human."

I was flung to the side, the demon now favouring to focus on the sword wielding boy before his power fully returned--as the sun was now raising. "Are you alright?!" The strange girl ran to my side to check me for injuries. I nodded and reassured her that I was unharmed. Though the demon now swallowed the remaining shards, that the fox child had tried to hide, it was fortunate, the demon was too late and the boy's hair turned a familiar silver and the demon was rendered to ashes.

With the demon vanquished, the shards--now combined from few to one--back in the hands of Inuyasha and his group, I set out to also return to my place.

"Will you be alright on your own?" The strange girl, who I now know is called Kagome, questioned me. "You could stay with us till you've rested at least."

I shook my head. "No, I had promised to return to my Lord and little one by daybreak, it is now past such time and I do not with to bring them worry." My mind tried to conjure up an image of Lord Sesshōmaru being worried, however I could not picture any expression other than mild annoyance or a blank slate. Perhaps one day I will see my Lord wear a joyous smile. Though I imagine if that day were to come... the world's end may follow suite.

Bidding farewell to the small group, I rushed through the forest, catching a hare by its ears along the way. Best not to return empty handed.

Once returning to the clearing, Rin was already awake and spotted me instantly. The child rushed to my side and clutched my kimono tightly. Her hands trembled ever so slightly. "Sakumi-ka! I was worried!" It seems, though I was revived, the child has yet to get over the events from weeks prior.

Returning her embrace, I apologised for causing her worry and tossed the bound hare at Master Jaken to cook for us. He was the walking firepit after all. Luckily for me, it seems that Lord Sesshōmaru had yet to return till several more days after.

The sun was warm as its light blanketed a child as she rested in the bushels.

Red eyes stared down at the sleeping human child, she looked to only be several months old. A frown was etched into the man's sharp features.

"You say that a couple just left this child here?" The man questioned the small little faerie like demon resting on his shoulder.

The little red demon nodded, fluttering her shimmering wings as she moved. "Yes! They just tossed the little one into the bushes, Moma helped move her since most demons dislike the smell of this plant." The red faerie jumped off the man's shoulder as she spoke in third person. "Poor little thing, humans can be so cold."

The man hummed in response, though seemed deep in thought. The tall demon man then scooped up the infant child and began walking deeper into the forest. "Then I supposed I will have to raise her myself, this is MY forest after all."

The little faerie smiled as she watched her lord walk off, his hold on the child both firm and gentle. "You are far more kind then outsiders believe, my lord."