chapter three

「I have both suffered and gained from demon fangs」

I have both suffered and gained from demon fangs

Lord Sesshomaru had reunited with his ward, Jaken, and as the two were leaving the forest a the rustling in the bushes caught their attention. The little imp, Jaken, gripped his two-headed staff as he demanded for whoever was hiding to show themselves.

A familiar scent caught Sesshōmaru's attention, his suspicions confirmed when a little girl of eight years old stumbled out of the bushes with fright and tears in her eyes. Her scent was mixed with that of fire and burnt hair, though not a strand was missing from her head.

Finally finding the demon from the clearing, little Rin ran to him and took hold of his hand. Jaken was shocked by the human girl's life threatening action to approach Lord Sesshōmaru, let alone take hold of his hand. What was even more of a shock to the imp was that his Lord hadn't killed the girl on the spot for her insolence.

Rin's frantic gesturing left the demons confused, however when the wind carried over the scent of blood the great demon nodded in acknowledgement. Seeing his barely visible gesture, little Rin started running back to where she had came. Sesshōmaru and a very confused Jaken followed after the running human child.

They stopped at another road path and a cry escaped little Rin at the sight before them. The battered and mauled corpse of a young human girl laid in a pool of her own blood. Having little to no clue as to what, or who, the woman was, the imp went up to the lump of bloodied flesh and poked at it with the end of his staff. "Yeesh. This one's a goner. She must have been attacked by wolves, see the teeth marks?" He shook his head. "From the looks of it, she put up quite the fight, for a human." The imp took note of the wolf blood and tuffs of fur clutched in the woman's hand, as well as the broken dagger.

"Sa-" Rin rushed over to her dead caretaker, tears flowing endlessly for her only remaining family. "Sa-ku-Sakumi!" For the first time in years, the little human girl spoke, but her voice was laced with heart-wrenching agony. Her first words in so long were that of mourning.

Watching from the side as the little girl, who had tried to care for him, cried over the corpse of the woman who had wrapped his wounds. Both woman having given to him kindness he neither wanted nor asked for.

As if to push its master, the Tenseiga began to pulse and it's aura seemed to point to the dead woman before them. Sesshōmaru stared down at his inherited sword before his golden eyes trailed towards the corpse clutched in the crying child's arms. What is it, Tenseiga? The sword pulsed again, it's aura trail now strengthening. You wish for me to wield you?

Deciding to see what it was the sword wished to show, the silver haired dog demon approached the two humans while drawing the Tenseiga. "Step aside." His cold voice ordered little one in his usual calm tone. Through tearful eyes, Rin looked up at the demon before doing so once she saw the look in his eyes.

"What are you doing, sire?" Jaken questioned, having no clue as to what his master was doing. "Lord Sesshōmaru?!" The imp cried in shock as he now saw his master wielding the useless sword his master oh so despised.

Ignoring his annoying ward, Sesshōmaru focused on what the Tenseiga wished to show him. Little, imp-like, demon spirits were taking hold of the corpse's limbs to chain and restraint them. Interesting, they are from the underworld. Messengers of death. "I will do another test."

When the great demon stated that he wished to conduct another test, of the sword, the imp cried out in exasperation. "Another test?!"

Raising the thin sword, Sesshōmaru swung down and sliced through the spirits of the underworld, succeeding in vanquishing them from the woman. Sheathing the Tenseiga, Sesshōmaru then kneeled down and brought the woman into his lap to examine if any changes would occur, the Tenseiga never leaving a mark on the living as always.

Jaken and Rin peered closer as they waiting for something to happen as well, a gasp escaping both of them when the young woman began to shift and twitch ever so slightly. Slowly, her eyes opened to reveal red hues that carried specks of gold, her eyes seeming to be a stronger shade of red then it had been when she last saw the dog demon.

"Lord Sesshōmaru, you revived that human wench with the power of the Tenseiga?!" Jaken all but gapped.

Ignoring the two demons, Rin threw herself at her revived caretaker and clung to her in a tight embrace. "Sakumi-ka!"

"Rin?!" The woman shouted on impact, catching the child in her arms. "You're speaking again!" The little one buried her face into the crook of Sakumi's neck in joy and relief.

It was only when Sesshōmaru began to take his leave that the two girls took notice to the demon that saved them. His ward rushed after him, leaving the two headed dragon and two humans behind. Sakumi and Rin shared a knowing look before standing up, Rin helping her caretaker brush off some of the dirt and dust from her tattered clothes. A nudge at their backs caught their attention and the two girls turned to see the two headed dragon that was left behind.

Smiling kindly at the dragons, Sakumi petted both heads as Rin took hold of the reigns and handed it to the older female. Sakumi walked with the dragon while Rin ran in front to catch up with the great demon who saved them quicker, earning a shout of protest from the small imp.

The two girls simply chuckled in amusement while the Lord Sesshōmaru remained silent. So, Tenseiga, you've compelled me to save a human life today. Ridiculous.

Though still slightly confused with that was happening, it was clear to Sakumi that she owed the silver haired demon a life debt, and as she slowly allowed her mind to catch up and piece together what had transpired a memory in the distant past kept her grounded.

"I want you to remember this, human or not, you are my daughter." A usually playful voice was oddly serious as the words spoke to me from the darkness of my world. "You are the daughter to one of the Four great Daiyōkai. Keep a calm air, your head held high and no one will ever question it."

"Yes, father."

"Ku-chan, don't bow after agreeing to keep your head up!"

"Forgive me, father."

"NO MORE BOWING!"