chapter two

「humans have caused us more harm then demons ever have」

humans have caused us more harm then demons ever have

Rin had gone off to bring food and water to the silver haired demon once again. The villagers had beaten her earlier this morning when they caught her taking fish from the reserve, unfortunately I was unable to protect her. I was easily held back by them as I lacked the physical strength, having also been just beaten for allowing such behaviour in the young child. Reserve or not, it is survival that must be of the utmost importance for outcasts such as us. She did not blame me, even gave me a reassuring embrace, however there remained a part of me that blamed myself.

Currently, I was working away at some dough to make bread with some flour I managed to convince one of the farmers to give me. After all, the villager have been taking from me with barely enough in return. I was feared by villagers as they saw me a demon, for the red eyes I possessed, however I paid them no mind so long as the putty they have for Rin does not ever become hatred. My eyes were my pride, but also my downfall.

Straightening my back, the satisfying sound of my sore joints popping was loud. I had been hunched over kneading dough for several hours now. Best to make as much possible to sell some to passing merchants later. As I was taking a break, I noticed Rin skipping down the worn path and smiled kindly when she came to a stop in front of me.

"I take it your visit with Demon-san was satisfactory." The young girl nodded enthusiastically. Her nose caught the scent of bread baking and a happy squeal left her silent lips as she skipped over to the kiln. "Careful, little one. One must not play with fire." A soft sound was her only reply, a chuckle escaping me at her curious and pure nature. Today was rather peaceful, save for the early morning incident.

Unfortunately, peace never seemed to stay with us long. A gruff looking man wearing brown fur stormed into our hut, his pointed ears and claws gave away what he was. A demon.

Acting quickly, I took hold of Rin and pulled the two of us away from the demon as he came into the hut and began rummaging through our food and drinking water supply--paying us no mind for only a moment before turning to look at us as he chewed on the last of our preserved meat. "This run down hut belong to you?" He questioned, having not taken notice of Rin, who I had hidden behind me.

"It does." My voice was firm as I gave the order, my confidence high as the aura that surrounded the demon was faded and quick moving. He is not only weak, but on the run. "You have already taken my rations, please leave."

Before the demon could retaliate at my words, the sound of howling wolves caught all of our attention and the demon knocked over my work table as he rushed out of my hut.

A wolf demon, with a human like appearance, cruelly slaughter the thieving demon before giving his wolves permission to hunt as they please. Danger.

Wasting no time, I made quick work to grab the remaining bag of flower, grabbing a dagger and slicing off my long hair to mix into the flour. I had motioned for Rin to light a torch with the kiln fire, which she did so quickly. "On my back, Rin." I ushered her as my sensitive ears easily picked up the sounds of the villagers screaming and wolves attacking.

Doing as I instructed, the little one clung to me tightly as I rushed out of the hut, a group of wolves catching sight of us and giving chase. That stubborn demon... I know not as to why, but I feel as though he will protect us. Rin returned to me unharmed from him once today, I pray that there will be a second time if we reach him. When we were reaching the forest's edge, I turned around on my heel and flung the mix of flour and hair into the air, coating the space between us and the wolves.

Waiting not even half a breath, I threw the torch into the air as well and the flour-hair concoction caught ablaze quickly, resulting in an explosion. This bought us enough time to get several feat away, which I did not hesitate to take. I slid Rin off my back and urged her to run on ahead. "Go child, find the silver demon and be safe." She shook her head stubbornly, however I would not allow her to object, "I will be right behind you, now go!" I lied, but it worked and run she did.

Turning towards wolves, I brandished my dull dagger and shifted into a defensive stance. One leg drawn back and my free hand up and ready to be used as a block or shield. I would buy her enough time to reach the silver haired demon, at least I hoped it would be enough time.

Knowing Rin, she would do everything to try and get that demon to come back for me.

Forgive me, little Rin. The blade of my dagger snapped when I used it to keep the jaws of a wolf at bay, a scream of agony ripping through me as another snuck up from behind to latch onto my shoulder. However it seems I will not be able to stay by your side any longer. I drove the handle of my broken dagger into the muzzle of the wolf clinging to my shoulder, however another joined the fray.

Biting back my voice, that so desperately wished to cry out in pain, I resorted to using my free hand to swing at the demons. Broken dagger still clutched tightly with my dominant hand and being used to fed off my attackers.

That was the end of my conscious.

"Sakumi, come here little one." A familiar voice called out to me as a memory played before me. "I have a gift for you."

"Father? Why do I smell blood?"
"Father? Father!"