chapter seven

「questions without spoken answers」

Inuyasha and company were currently looking for a village, one that would take in the young orphaned girl they had come across on their journey. A girl by the name Koharu, who was infatuated with the monk of their group; the lecturous monk known as Miroku. As they were travelling, Kagome took notice to Inuyasha's odd silence as he appeared to be lost in thought.

"What's the matter, Inuyasha?" The strangely clothed girl decided to voice her thoughts, she found his silence strange as he would normally be grumbling and uttering complaints in having their journey detoured.

The young fox child also joined in the questioning, leaping from Kagome's shoulder to latch on to Inuyasha's hair and sit between his ears. "Yeah, what's the matter Inuyasha? It's weird seeing you actually use your brain and be so lost in thought."

True to his short-tempered nature, the half dog demon growled at the young fox child's comment, but did not raise a hand at him as he usually would. "It's nothing important; something's just been bothering me for a while."

This caught the attention of the rest of the group, including the young Koharu whom they were escorting.

"Well, what is it?" Kagome pushed.

"That girl that helped us, back when we were dealing with the spider-heads." The silver haired half demon sighed, seeing it no use to just brush it off with how curious everyone's gaze had become. "I didn't say anything because the idea just doesn't make any sense, but the more I think about it the more it starts to become fact and not just my imagination." Crossing his arms, hands now buried in the sleeves of the nezumi no kawagoromo he wore. "It was faint, but her scent was mixed with Sesshōmaru's scent."

This caught the group by surprise.

"What, are you sure about that?" Kagome gasped, finding it difficult to believe that the kind human girl who had aided in their past battle to be associated with the heartless dog demon that had a sworn vendetta to slaughter his younger, half-brother over the possession of their late father's sword. "I mean, Sakumi is a human and Sesshōmaru hates all mortals."

The beautiful demon slayer of the group spoke up. "Who is it you are talking about?"

"Oh, Sakumi was a girl who helped us fight off some demons a while back. Apparently her father was friends with Inuyasha's father." Kagome summarised, filling in the rest of the group who had not been with them during the event that had transpired during their early days of travel.

"If she is really with Sesshōmaru, then it's going to be trouble for us." Inuyasha commented, causing the group to look to him in question. "She was a good fighter, even for a mortal. but what really bothers me is that she  was able to make Tetsusaiga transform."

"A human who can wield Tetsusaiga? Does that mean she possesses demonic powers?" The little fox gasped. "How is that possible, was she also a half demon?"

The half dog demon thought back to the memory of that dawn, the image of that small human girl wielding the Tetsusaiga as if it was an extension of herself. Her unusual red eyes glaring with a determination to live.

Miroku spoke up with her thoughts, cutting off Inuyasha's thoughts before he once again became lost in the memory. "If this Sakumi girl is indeed a skilled warrior, and she truly servers your brother, Inuyasha, things are only going to be more troublesome from here on out." 

The group had fallen into a collective silence, wordlessly agreeing with the statements made by the cursed, lecturous monk.