17. Should I stay or should I go

Mia
After the night Marc and I had, I didn't expect to wake up to chaos, but that's exactly what we woke up to. It's always something with this man.

Marc came into the kitchen as I was putting the kids breakfast together. He wasn't dressed for work so I knew he'd seen the news.

"You're everywhere."

"I know."

"Has Zayden seen this?"

"No. Hopefully he never will. I've pulled him out of school for the time being and he'll start with a tutor tomorrow."

It didn't escape me that he'd made this decision without me. I know Zayden is his son, but we're supposed to be doing all of this together.

"You're upset."

"I'm not upset."

"I had to act quickly, Mia."

"Of course."

He sighed. "Can we talk about this later? I have to go meet the lawyers."

"Sure."

He left just as quickly as he had come and I continued preparing breakfast and the uncertainties started creeping in again. If I were to be completely honest, they had never left. Here I was with a man who I barely knew and who is so much older and more experienced than me, a man who has not just one but now two children and who is currently involved in a custody battle with one of his children's mother. I'm just twenty-nine years old. I don't have my life together yet and have my own problems to worry about. I have Jordan to worry about and I haven't forgotten about Iain as well. I cannot afford to be dragged into Paxton's drama on top of that.

For the entire day I was preoccupied with my own thoughts but also found time to tune in to what they were saying about Marc in the news. Someone had let it slip that Marc and Catherine were now locked in a custody battle after finding out that he'd fathered her son. I have no doubt that Catherine was the one who leaked it. She's the one who stands the most to gain from all this. She doesn't care about Marc or his reputation. What she care's about is his money and assets. I don't even think she cares about her son or how this would affect him. His life will be forever changed. The man he has known as his father all his life isn't, and now there's this stranger who is. Phillip must be so confused right now. I just hope for his sake that his mother is keeping him away from all this madness.

Zayden and Jordan had been getting along well despite the language barrier between the two and I was happy about that. It made me start to wonder what life would be like if I did marry Marc. Zayden already treats Jordan like his younger brother and I could tell that Jordan looked up to Zayden even though they're both shy. I'm not sure how that dynamic would change if Phillip is added.

As Marc requested, I kept the boys away from anything media related and tried myself to not pay attention to what they were saying, but of course it was hard to keep away especially when his life was splashed all over the media for everyone to see. It would only get worse I know. Although Paxton was seen as respectable businessman, he was also branded as a womanizer and a cheater. They weren't wrong but they also weren't being fair.

By the time Marc had returned, the boys were asleep and I was on edge. I hadn't heard from him all day. I had no friends or anyone to talk to and I was angry at him.

"What did the lawyers say?" I didn't give him a chance. As soon as he stepped into the kitchen I started firing questions at him.

"You're drinking." He frowned.

"Well it's not like there's anything else I can do. I can't work! Can't go out! Can't do anything but sit here, take care of my son and yours and wait for you."