18. A bit of normalcy

Marc
Things with Mia had been great over the past couple of weeks. Our lives had slowly begun to return to normal. Although Mia had agreed to marry me she wanted to take things slow so we were dating and having fun.

Things on the Catherine side weren't so great though. Catherine had gotten sole custody of Phillip. However, I was granted visitation rights once a week, and based on how that goes for a few months, that number could increase. As things stand right now, Catherine had the upper hand. I guess it was for the best. I didn't really know Phillip and it would take us time to be comfortable with each other.

"Good morning."

"Morning." It was amusing that Mia was looking everywhere except at me when she said this. Maybe last night was a bit too much for her. Our relationship has been going well and we've been taking everything in stages. I'm learning so much about her and in turn about myself from being with her. It was eye opening.

"Are you ready for today?"

"As ready as one can be."

"We're just interviewing potential nannies and tutors for Jordan, Mia. It will be fine."

"That's easy for you to say. You have experience doing this. I don't."

"If it makes you feel any better, all the candidates have been properly vetted."

"I know, but I'm worried about Jordan. His entire life was uprooted when I brought him here and now here I am introducing another stranger into his life."

I took her hand in mine and squeezed it reassuringly. "It will be fine."

"I hope so. Does it ever go away?"

"What?"

"The fear and constant worrying."

"No, it doesn't."

"How do you deal with it?"

"Well, in the beginning I had Safiare. We kind of depended on each other. My parents were also there. I guess you could say family is what made coping so easy."

"What about after Safiare?"

"I won't lie, when Safiare and I separated and I had to focus on co-parenting I found it really hard but I managed. I had no other choice. I owed it to Zayden to be the best parent I could be for him. It eventually got easier over time, and then you came."

"Me?"

"Yes. You filled in when I couldn't and treated Zayden like your own son despite how you felt about his father at that time. I never properly thanked you for that. Although the fear and worry doesn't go away, it eventually gets easier. All you need to focus on today is finding the best possible fit for Jordan and for you. Let me worry about the other things."

"Okay."

For the entire morning and most of the afternoon Mia and I interviewed candidate after candidate but didn't choose any of them. They were all good candidates but the final decision was up to Mia and she wasn't satisfied. At the end of it all she still hadn't chosen anyone.

While she was saying goodbye to the last candidate for the day I received an unexpected call.

"What is it?"

"There's one more candidate."

"She's not on the list."

"I know. The agency forgot to add her name to the list of candidates."

Normally I wouldn't do this because there are protocols and strict rules I follow, but seeing how defeated Mia looked just now, I went against those rules and protocols.