19. A different kind of world

Sena Pierce

"Thank you for waiting. I apologize on behalf of my fiancé."

"It's no problem at all."

I tried to look everywhere but at him. He was an intimidating man.

"Have a seat Ms. Pierce." I did and waited for him to continue. "Although my fiancé seems to be fine with you, I have some reservations."

I sighed inwardly. It's always like this. You're too young. What secrets are you hiding? Are you after money? And so on. It was really frustrating and I hated it.

"I know you don't have any family, you live alone, have few friends and haven't been in a relationship in over two years."

"Yes. That's all correct."

"I know you owe thousands of dollars in student loans and your landlord is threatening to evict you."

"Yes."

"I don't care about all that. What I care about is Jordan and Mia. Now my fiancé seems to have taken a liking to you and I want her to be happy, so my question to you is, is there anything at all that you think we need to know before officially offering you this job?"

I didn't need to think about it. There was nothing. I'm a boring twenty-six year old who finds pleasure in staying home. I have no ulterior motives. I tutor because it pays the bills and with the amount of money Marc Paxton is paying I'll be okay for a long long time.

"Nothing."

"All right then, I have a contract for you but it is quite extensive. I suggest you take a few days to go over it and of course if there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask me about it. Do you have a lawyer?"

"The agency does."

He frowned.

"I can recommend a good lawyer. One that isn't on the Paxton payroll and has no ties to me. One that can objectively look it over and give you feedback."

"Okay sure. I would really appreciate that."

He handed the contract to me and I took it warily. It wasn't that easy was it?

"I'll have my driver send you home."

"Thank you."
________________

I walked into my room completely dazed. Did that just happen? Am I really going to be working for Marc Paxton?

I took the contract out and started going through it. There was little I understood. These types of things were always too difficult for me. However, there were a few things that stood out to me. The biggest one being that once I take this job all my loans would be cleared, and just my student loans, credit cards and anything else I owed. That was rather generous. As it was a live-in position I would be expected to give up my apartment, however a living expense would be added to my salary to substitute that. I'd also be provided with a car of my choosing, and a limitless expense credit card for Jordan and his needs.

Wow.

The life of the rich was vastly different from us regular folks.

I continued going through the contract but it was a lot of legal terms and I couldn't be bothered. I'd visit the lawyer Mr. Paxton suggested and see what he says. I was really tired from my night out and just needed time to rest so within minutes of crawling into bed my eyes began to close.

Mia

"Well that took longer than expected."

"I suppose."