Changing Waters

'You don't believe me, do you?'

'I do. I am certain you are the most understanding person you have ever met.' Raghav stated with as much sincerity as he could manage.

Sia paused and examined the hint of sarcasm in his voice. Then, deliberately deciding to take the generous words at face value, she nodded as a sign of peace.

'One minor doubt, though.' he asked in earnest contemplation. 'I have never seen you with your so-called boyfriend around the campus.'

'Kept an eye out for me?' she raised her brows.

'Stalling, are we?' he countered despite the embarrassed shade cropping on his cheeks. Putting his hands in pockets, he asked narrowing his eyes, 'What was his name again?'

'Savitri!'

'Savitri?' His furrowed brows smoothened as his eyes followed her rush to a big brown stray cat.

Grinning ear to ear, Sia nuzzled the cat and introduced it in excitement. 'Meet Savitri! My first friend in college.'

He chuckled at the furry animal snuggled in her arms with eerie familiarity. 'Hi Savitri!'

Sia brushed Savitri's belly affectionately. 'Aww... She feels so soft.' Sia said cherishing the smooth touch.

'You two need to get a room.'

Sia grinned. 'I actually wanted to keep her in the hostel, but the sadist warden doesn't allow.' she said pouting. 'The other cats never miss a chance to bully her.'

'Why?' he asked offhandedly.

'Why? Because they can. Because it is fun for them. Do bullies ever need a reason?'

Raghav glanced up at her sharp words. She was lost in pampering the animal. She probably didn't mean to taunt. Or did she?

Irrespective of the intention, the truth in her words made him fidgety. 'Sia, I - I am sorry for everything you had to go through because of me and my friends.' he confessed honestly. 'I would give a lot to go back and make things right. But I can't. And now I can only hope that you find it in you to let things go.'

Sia looked up at his strained profile. 'Okay.'

'If I knew earlier - wait. What?'

'I said okay. I will let it go. You have apologized enough. And I cannot hold you responsible for what your friends did. And I am sorry I couldn't look beyond my hurt.'

Raghav gaped at her, astonished. 'Who are you? And where is my kitten? Your head injury wasn't that serious, was it?'

Sia continued to caress Savitri's thick mane with unwavering attention. My kitten? She gulped at the implied meaning. Attempting to bypass the ongoing somersault in her poor gut, she refused to look up. All the while, waiting for her insides to recover...

Raghav instinctively knew he had said something out of line. He could promptly fix it, if not for her outright blushing. Who knew she had the potential to look so dangerously feminine.

'Aren't you the cutest little thing?'

Sia heard his soft words, and a jolt of shock wave rendered her motionless. But before she could make sense of the senselessness that flooded her senses, the movement around her hands brought her back to reality. He had snaked Savitri out of her hands and was comfortably conversing with her.

She was relieved, and not disappointed, that the comment was not meant for her. Or so she told herself.

*******************