029

The last sign I had passed had promised that the top of the peak was only one hour away but it had to be less than that by now, I told myself, gasping for air as I forced myself to keep running. It had to have meant walking or strolling, not sprinting for your life as you ran from mythical creatures.

But that was what was currently happening, again, I realized, remembering the black-clad mercenaries, ninjas, from the third trial as I bolted up the side of the mountain, having to slow down every time the trail bent around the side of the peak as to not slip and fall off the side of the cliffs, my heart sinking every time I saw just how far the fall was.

I panted as I risked a glance back over my shoulder, feeling every last bit of the hope I had been clinging so desperately to crumble within me as I saw the flock of birds nearing as the sun continued to rise, glowing bright and golden as it climbed over the edge of the horizon, the flaming birds floating along its rays like a fiery wave. A fiery wave that was moving with almost inhuman speed.

"What do you even call a flock of phoenixes?" I wheezed, turning another corner only to realize that the trail had turned into steps as it steeped, "An odyssey? I don't- ah" I huffed, forcing myself up the stairs cut into the rough side of the cliff as I desperately tried to catch my breath, unable to do so because of the thin air.

"Befriend the fire," I gasped, "As if. I'm not taking any chances this time," I growled as the single lock of gray hair blew into my face, suddenly remembering my last experience with the flames, the colour, or lack thereof, being proof of just how wrong things could go if said fire got the c chance to run freely, to burn freely. I glanced down at my burned hand as I reached the top of the steps, looking back up to see two trails ahead of me.

One continued the slow climb to the top of the peak which I had used from the very bottom of the mountain, and the other rose a lot quicker, leading directly to a rock wall which marked a dead end only to continue atop the cliff. "I'm not taking any chances-" I began, only to falter slightly as an eerie sound cut through the crisp cold air.

My blood ran cold as I turned around to face the unfamiliar melody, already well-aware that it was the phoenixes, though surprised to see just how close they had gotten, now finally able to make out the flickering silhouettes, flaming wings which cut cleanly through the air, their glowing beaks opening as their eyes, pitch-black like coal, fixed on me.

I staggered backwards, slowly picking up speed as I headed for the rock wall, dusting off my hands before beginning to climb. "Maybe I should be taking chances," I mumbled to myself, praying to the heavens, to The Oracle of Phiri, that I had picked the faster route as I clenched my teeth and hauled myself up the cliff, tears prickling my eyes as stone scraped against skin and fingers, blood coating the rocks as I scratched myself against the rock wall, painfully out of breath when I finally reached the top.

I had to close my eyes for a moment as I tried to adjust to the thin air, allowing myself a single glance over the shoulder, and realizing, a second too late, that it had been a grave mistake when one of the phoenixes shot past me, barely missing my throat as its flaming wing cut right across my shoulder, leaving a trail of searing hot pain in its wake as I cried out, instinctively clutching my arm as my eyes widened at the now-scorched sleeve of my previous white suit.

My heartbeat picked up as I whipped my head in the direction the flaming bird had just disappeared off in, watching with horror as it shot out of the golden clouds again and headed straight for me with such speed that I barely had time to duck as it soared overhead.