The abused girl chapter 20

The abused girl chapter 20:

Marie's p.o.v

I was at the bottom of the stairs when Paul came out of the bedroom, I busied around and tried to make myself seem as though I was making myself useful. Hopefully Paul doesn't know I was eves dropping on his conversation with my mum. I didn't like the parts I had heard. Looking up the stairs, I watched as Paul sent me a suggestive grin; like he knows something that I don't. I need to find out what was going on. It can't just be my paranoia, I'm sure I clearly heard him saying something about Jessie; and about why my mums health is like it is now. I may not know what's going on but I'm very serious about finding out what it is! I flash him a smile, my way of letting him think he's still ahead of the game.

"Hey darling, say, where did you say Jessie was again? I'm sorry, it's totally slipped my mind."

"She's safe...she's stayed behind with her friends. I thought I'd come over and help you, take some of this stress and work load off your shoulders. You need to relax a bit more honey, your all tense." Paul soothed, as he rubbed and massaged my neck. Playing along, I let him do it.

"So, how do you think my mum's coping then? I don't know what to think if I'm honest. I would do anything to look after her, and that mean's anything." Paul stopped massaging me, and turned me to face him. I don't know whether he feels threatened or playing it cool. He certainly didn't look to pleased, I've just gave him an indirect challenge over my mother's life. Well, he can take it however he wants. I won't back down to him, I just have to get to the bottom of all this.

"Marie..." He looked stumped as to what to say back to what I just told him.

"Your mum will be fine. Everything's going to be fine. Just you wait and see; your good old Paul will have everything back to the way it should be in no time at all"

I just nodded my head, whatever he is up to it doesn't sound like its going to be a long term thing! If I am to sort this mystery out I had better act fast. Trouble is...where on earth do I start to look to clues?