Chapter 3

Josiah's POV

"Go home and practice." Mrs. Lott told the cast. She was definitely stressed out, and I think she just needed space.

The cast filed out into the house. Girls sat to take of their character shoes while the boys just grabbed their things.

I grabbed my water bottle and script and went and sat at the edge of the stage. I was walking home with Eva, and I knew it would be a few minutes before she was ready. She takes forever to do anything. I should know, we've been best friends for years, along with Rosie.

I began to talk to another guy in the cast, Mike, who was waiting on his little sister Allison. He was mid-sentence when I saw Eva begin to exit.

"I've gotta go Mike. See you Tuesday. "

I dashed up to the door right as Eva opened it.

"Eva! Wait up!" I called out. It took her a minute to acknowledge me and turn around, and when she did, she looked mad a me. That's been happening since the 6th grade, when the whole incident with Rosie happened.

"What?" She asked. She still seemed frustrated.

"I'm walking home with you today. Remember?"

She thought for a minute.

"Oh yeah! Let's go. It's getting cold out." She smiled as she returned back to her happy self.

We began to walk until we reached her house in the neighborhood, Avery Hills.

We walked in and Eva and her mom, Jaime, chattered. I didn't say anything until her mom refused to tell us what was wrong.

"With all due respect Jaime, you are a horrible liar."

"Ok fine. But you guys may want to have a seat. " Jaime told us. That scared me. What if something really bad happened?

We all walked over to the cyan colored couches in Eva's living room. Eva sat to the right, and I sat to the left. Jaime came over and sat in the middle of the also cyan colored couch that was across from us.

"So a little while ago, about an hour. Around fifteen minutes after rehearsal was over, I got a call... from the hospital." Jaime began.

"And?" Eva questioned, her voice cracking.

"I hate to tell you this, but Rosie and Amie were in an accident on their way home from practice."

Rosie? Is she hurt? I'm sure nothing bad happened.

Okay, that's a lie.

My eyes began to fill tears, and I was trying my hardest not to let them spill out. Everything was falling apart, and it seemed as if the world was moving in slow motion.

Eva began bawling. I looked over at her with a sympathetic look on my face, but I think it made her her more upset.

"Eva..."Jaime cooed. Eva looked like she was going to puke, and she eventually ran out.

That's when I broke down. Tears began to roll silently down my face, and I held the sobs in until if felt as if I was going to explode.

"Awh, sweetie." Jaime cooed. She got up from her place on the couch and came and sat beside me.

"It's ok..." She told me as she gave me a side hug. I knew it was a lie. It's not ok. My best friend has been in a car crash and at the hospital.

I wanted to get up and get to Rosie right then and there, but I knew I wouldn't be allowed to see her. I decided to go find Eva. I think she needed a shoulder to cry on.

"I'm gonna go find Eva." I sniffed. I wiped the tears from my eyes and stoop from my place on the couch.

Eva ran outside, so I had a good idea where she was going. I slipped on my tennis shoes from rehearsal and walked out the door.

I walked down the porch steps and down the stone path that led to the backyard and garden.

I walked behind the house and saw the treehouse that Eva's dad made us the summer before Rosie came. I think Eva was mad that I told Rosie about it and showed her it. I heard sobs and immanently knew that's where she was.

"Eva?" I called out. There was no answer, only sobs.

I began to climb up the rope and wood ladder that led to the opening of the tree house.

I swung open the door at the bottom and climbed inside.

"Eva... It's okay..." I said, trying to comfort her, but I got interrupted.

"No it's not! My best friend is in the hospital! She was in a car crash! She could be dead within hours for all we know!"

"Don't forget that she's my best friend to! I am just as upset as you are!"

"Yeah. Just because you have feelings for her and have been friends for a couple of years doesn't make you any closer than we are! I'm her best friend and I should get to feel awful! Don't you remember that big fight you had in sixth grade! The one I had to help her get through!"

"Yeah, I do! It was one of, if not the biggest mistake in my life!" I started.

"But you know what? That was four years ago! We have made up! We don't keep going back to it like you do! And I think the only reason you do is because it makes you seem like the better friend! You didn't want anything to do with Rosie until then!"

I was in a fit of rage. I didn't want to be that harsh, but at the time it felt like it needed to be said.

"You know what Josiah?" By now Eva had stopped crying.

"Get out! Leave me alone! Go crawl back to Rosie who will praise her Josi! I'm sure that's why you stick around anyways. There has to be something for you in it!"

That hurt. That's not at all why we're friends. I felt the tears coming back.

"Is that really what you think?" Tears began to roll down my cheeks. I never thought my best friend would say that to me.

"Josiah..." Eva started to say. I cut her off. I knew it was going to be an excuse.

I climbed back down the ladder. I just wanted to go home.

I went back inside and gathered my things.

"Josiah? Where are you going?" Jaime asked as I was about to leave.

"Home. My presence is no longer wanted here." Was my reply. It was true. I had been told to get out.

"Now why would you think that?"

"Because that's what you daughter told me. Have a nice day. I may be back soon."

That's when I left. The tears well up in my eyes, blurring my vision. I wiped them away though. I needed to at least get home.

~*~

I opened the door to my house with my spare key and burst through the door. I took of my shoes and ran up the stairs to my room.

I threw myself on my bed and broke into a loud fit of sobs.

I usually do not cry, but my day had just gone from bad to worst.

First I found out that my best friend had been in an accident and in the hospital and then my other best friend tells me that I am only Rosie's friend because of the praise that I may get and because there's something in it for me.

To be honest, I'm not sure which one's worst.

~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So there's chapter three! There's already been a fight and it's only chapter three! Oh well. 😜

✌️Peace out Girl Scouts!✌️

See ya next chapter! ✌️