Chapter 14: The Unknown Angel

I woke, and reached out for Father. I inhaled a scent, but it wasn't his. I shot up when someone grabbed my hand, and I growled when I saw the strange angel from before. I took a quick look around no Father in sight. "Your Father went to get you tea," the angel said, tugging me out of bed.

I pulled my hand away, "Get your hands off me!" I growled, he seemed unfazed.

"I was assigned to stay by your side, at all costs. You have to put up with me," The angel said with an irritated expression.

"Your name?" I asked, and he kept his eyes on me.

"Nathaniel," he responded coldly.

I thought for a moment, "Lovely name you have." I smiled

He seemed shocked, "You are a strange demon," He said.

"I'm only half, besides when I like a person's name, I'm nice," I answered.

Until you need to use them to your advantage," he caught me off guard with that. "I am a guardian angel, I was assigned to you to see which path you follow. It is obvious which path you have followed," he said in monotone.

I smirked, "Very well. I guess it's only fair." Father walked in with tea cups and tea pot. "F-Elijah, there you are."

"M'lady...I have your favorite wild raspberry tea, Mr. Nathaniel, would you like a cup?" Elijah served me a cup.

"I will not be accepting anything from the likes of you," Nathaniel responded with disgust. I was slightly confused by the behavior of others towards demons.

"I know demons are frowned upon, but why is there so much hatred towards them?" I asked, Elijah was a little shocked by my question.

"You really should have done more studying on demons than angels." I stared waiting for him to continue.

"Demons are deceitful, evil, and selfish," Elijah said as I sipped my tea. I looked at him, but there was no emotion on his face. I faced him, hiding any hint of emotion that I held. "Demons are also an angel's natural enemy. The fact that you have a guardian angel shocks me beyond belief."

"We wanted to make sure she wouldn't stray onto your path. Seems it was lost hope," Nathaniel said and I growled.

"I am making my own path-make sure to keep that in your records," I said in an innocent voice, but firmly to get my point across.

"On the contrary, you have followed the demon's path," Nathaniel said simply.

I looked away, I didn't even glance at Father.

"I heard running, and then a half naked man ran in and tackled Nathaniel. He was barking, howling, and licking his face. Father sighed and Nathaniel shoved him aside. "I've seen you before," I said.

"Ace! Bad boy! Get back here!" Aviana ran in and looked at Nathaniel. "An angel," She growled.

"Aviana, this angel will be staying here, watching over Lady Zera," Elijah explained, Nathaniel merely nodded.

"Ace? Do I know you?" I asked, trying to remember him, he nodded. I then thought about when I walked down White Chapel, "You're the dog man, I know you speak." He only shook his head.

"M'lady, he is learning to speak, not all hellhounds are the same. This particular hellhound is the type who needs to learn how to speak," Elijah explained and I nodded. "He also happens to be my puppy."

"I will be outside." Nathaniel left.

I blinked. "He's a puppy?" I looked at Ace.

"Yes," He cheered, but then he laid down on the rug.

"Ace, outside. Now," Elijah ordered and Ace dashed outside, then I ran to the window. No Ace, just a fiery rottweiler. I tilted my head-something seemed wrong. "You are half human, so he is not in his true form, just part of it." Elijah explained as Ace played. "He is only about seven hundred years old."

I looked at Father, "He is old!" I exclaimed.

"To a human. In human years, he's about ten." he said and I looked back down, a human servant passed right by Ace without a second glance.

"Father, the servant-,"

"Can't see him, only those who are on the to-die list can see the hounds. Reapers normally use them on souls who must be sentenced to hell," Father explained. "Demons can also see them. However, your demonic blood is not fully in control of you. It will be difficult for you."

"That explains it then...," I whispered.

"Yes, and now, you need to finish studying before I reveal what I have found."

I groaned, "Yes Father...I'll see if you really can push aside the contract and be a parental figure...,"

"Either way I will act like this dear, I am your father," he said, I nodded and left the room to study.