Chapter V

He slumps in his seat in Caesar's car, unlocking the boy's phone to send Ash a text. It's only been like four weeks, and the asshole is already breaking his promise. Damn 'family trip', what the hell is Connor supposed to do without him for almost a whole month?

"Tell them to hurry the fuck up," Caesar says, eyes fixed on the road to the airport.

"On it."

Connor types the message, curse words and all, without paying much attention. They're not exactly early themselves, because Caesar had the belated idea to buy Connor lunch at his favorite place as an apology. Appreciated, sure, but lunch doesn't change the fact that he's abandoning him for a month.

"It's just two weeks."

"Twenty days."

They huff at the same time. Caesar's phone buzzes in his hand with Ash's response.

Ash:

Die, dickhead.

Which makes a stark contrast with one of the latest texts, that catches Connor's attention just now. It's from a couple weeks ago, probably around the Christmas party.

Ash:

I'm sorry.

If it were anyone else, he would've asked, or maybe he wouldn't feel curious at all. But this is Caesar and his sibling, so he doesn't get the least bit of remorse as he scrolls up to find what they were talking about. It only makes sense for him to be concerned, when was the last time Ash apologized to anyone? And their brother, of all people?

Just to be sure, he moves the phone around for a bit, making his intentions clear. Caesar doesn't even look at him, only waves a hand in a dismissive way to say 'go ahead'. He has nothing to hide anyway.

The conversation, though, says otherwise. It starts with:

Ash:

So

you and Connor

Which is intriguing in itself. It follows:

Caesar:

excuse me?

Ash:

I've seen the way you look at him

Caesar:

I don't know what you're talking about

Ash:

okay then

That could be the end, except:

Caesar:

um

what do you mean, the way I look at him?

Ash:

Well you tell me

that's what I'm trying to figure out

Caesar:

sounds like you know already

Ash:

I always sound like i know

but I don't wanna go on just assumptions