One

~~~~~~~~~~

You smiled and sat on your knees in front of the sacred flames. with your eyes closed. "Can I look now?" You said.

"Not yet~" Kaname said in a sing-song tone. You heard some shuffling, and a loud crash.

"What's happening?"

"One more second~ Okay, now!"

You opened your eyes and looked around. Kaname held a small box out to you. You smiled. "What's this?"

"A present," he said.

"A present? You've never given me one before," you said in a confused tone.

"I know, but now I am. Open it."

You took the box from his hands and opened it.

"Happy birthday, Areum," he said as you stared at your present. It was a silver ring (the picture at the beginning of the chapter) with a starfish on it, and a blue topaz gem in the center.

"It's beautiful," you muttered as you stared at it. Every year, you got gifts from the villagers for your birthday. You had dozens of rings, necklaces, and other things, but they didn't mean anything to you. Of course you were grateful, but, for the past few years, people just gave you gifts, like they were giving offerings to some sort of god, and they didn't hold any real sentimental value.

But this, this was special. The first present you've ever gotten from Kaname.

"So, you like it, then?" Kaname said. "

"I love it." You smiled and slipped the ring on your left middle finger. "Thank you."

"We match," he said as he showed his own ring, that was a simple silver band with a matching stone.

You smiled. "This means so much to me. I'll never take it off."

Kaname nodded. "Now you'll always have a part of the sea with you. I even had someone make the pendant over the sacred fire. It's been blessed by the sea god himself. "

"Why? You've never given me a present before."

"This year is special. You have the scent of a woman now," He said while sniffing your neck.

"Ew!" you exclaimed while pushing him away. He chuckled and sat in front of you on the futon. "Awh, c'mon ____~ You're 20 and you've never had a boyfriend before~"

"So," you pouted. "This is a weird topic."

Kaname chuckled again. "Have you met a guy yet~"

"I made two friends on the surface. Sangwoo and Yoonbum."

"Ah ah ah, ___ you know the rules-"

"Yeah. People from the sea aren't meant to be with people from the land. If they have a baby, it could be born without ena, and they'll be banished."

"Not to mention the cultural differences." Kaname shook his head.

"But, I'm the daughter of the sea god. If I were to be with a land human, why would it matter? I'll still be the ruler of all the oceans and seas."

"The people may not like that, though," he said with a hum. "Best to be careful of that."

"Oh," you muttered before you stood up. "I see. Well, that won't happen. I want us all to live in peace. The hate we have for land humans is stupid."

"It stems from decades of mistreatment and discrimination."

"I understand. Maybe things will be different, when I rule the seas."