Chapter 16

"Sit right here and the doctor will be with momentarily." The nurse gave him a sympathetic smile and closed the door quietly.

Justin rubbed his forehead.
"I don't want people knowing I'm sick. They treat me differently. I hate being treated like I'm some fragile person. I'm not." His voice rose in anger.

"I'm not going to treat you differently just because I know you have a disease." I said. "I may be more careful around you but it doesn't change how I feel about you."

He smiled meekly, playing with his rings on his fingers.

Just then someone swiftly knocked and opened the door, not giving anyone a chance to respond.

"Hello." A doctor with a white coat carrying a clipboard walked in.

"Justin?" He scanned the papers then glanced at Justin and gave him a smile.

"Nice to see you again, doc." Justin said, not even managing a smile.

"I'm Alissa." I chirped up, lifting the corners of my mouth of up.

"Nice to meet you." The doctor said. "So, Justin, we need to look at some treatment options."

Justin leaned forward, clasping his hands together tightly, knuckles turning white.

I took his hand in mine, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Yeah." He took a deep breath. "I'm ready. What are my options, doctor?"

"Well, seeing as you have acute leukemia and you're in stage two, you needed to be treated right away. The goal of acute leukemia treatment is to bring about a remission," the doctor explained, "Then, when there is no evidence of the disease, more therapy may be given to prevent a relapse. Many people with acute leukemia can be cured." The doctor gave Justin a reassuring smile.

This was good, I thought, he could fight this.

The doctor explained on. "Most patients with leukemia are treated with chemotherapy. Some also may have radiation therapy and/or bone marrow transplantation. The best route for you here would be chemotherapy, but it is your choice of course."

Justin's shoulders lifted and he sighed. He looked at me searching my eyes then back at the doctor.

"I think..." Justin struggled with his words. "I think I want to do chemotherapy."

The doctor smiled and scribbled something on his papers on his clipboard. "Alright then, I'll set up an appointment for your first session. I'll be giving you some medication to take also. If you stay here I'll be back with your prescription."

He shook hands with Justin and shut the door behind him.

"I'm so proud of you." I smiled, squeezing his hand.

He laughed. "For what?"

"For wanting to fight this. You're strong enough to do this, Justin."

I wrapped my arms around his waist and he wrapped his arms around me.

"I love you, Ali." He breathed into my hair.