8. Love potions and red eyes

*The italics are in 3rd POV, and Rory obviously can't remember this. But this is important so we know what happens directly after the spell was cast* before we go to Rory's pov*

"Sam!" Draco screamed as Rory hit the floor. Her eyes were glazed over, and she was writhing, trying to fight the spell that couldn't be fought. He tried breaking Sam's concentration, but as if in a trance she carried on.

As a sob escaped Rory's mouth, Draco couldn't take it any longer and threw Sam off him and ran to her side. He had barely wrapped his arms around her in a lame attempt to protect her from the spell when she fell unconcious, head dropping onto Draco's lap.

"I need to modify her memory otherwise she'll know something's missing, damn, my wand's almost broke." Sam said almost breezily, despite the fact Draco practically threw the small girl onto the tiled floor.

"Samantha," Draco said angrily. "This is going too far."

When Draco was an official death eater, Sam was paired to him to help him with his mission, introduce him to this new lifestyle. But then Draco learned a few of Sam's secrets and she knew his, so it gave them a mutal understanding and dysfunctional friendship.

But it didn't mean she still didn't annoy the hell out of him.

"I know what I'm doing Draco," Sam said quietly, picking up her wand and kneeling next to Draco and Rory's unconcious body.

"Your eyes went red. RED. You told me that if your eyes went red things were going too far." Draco snapped. 

"Yeah well the red eyes also mean it's my deepest instics taking over." Sam shrugged. "What happened was for a reason."

Draco shook his head in disbelief at her but stayed silent as she began speaking with her wand pointed at Rory's forehead.

"You followed us because you're too damn curious for your own good. You saw me yelling at Draco for using you, and scared at seeing him for the first time in ages you tried to run but slipped and hit your head. Once you woke up, Draco was gone and I took you back to Gryffindor tower."

She put her wand back into her skirt pocket and told Draco, "Well you can go now. She'll be waking up soon and it won't meet up with the story."

"Can't I just tell her the truth, it'd make everything so much easier." Draco pleaded, running a finger down Rory's jawline. He missed the touch of her, he'd realised in her last few months. And her smile and that little giggle---With his heart hurting, he stopped thinking and dropped his hand.

"Too many people know already how you really feel about her. It's too dangerous." Sam said, and she looked sad as Draco looked at her. "She can't be harmed anymore as it is. Rory and her brother are going to be the ones to end this."

Draco nodded, and kissed Rory on the forehead, slowly, knowing that it could be months--years--before she knew that all along he'd always loved her.

He left her in Sam's arms, and was planning to make a clean break, run away before his heart could shatter anymore. But of course, he had to turn back, for Rory he always did.

She looked so peaceful half-asleep, and he couldn't help wonder if she would be happier without him. "I love her so much," he whispered, voice full of pain.

"I know you do, it's quite sickening." Sam gave him a small smile.

"Sam...." Draco trailed off. "Let me help you... You've helped me so much... Please."